36 - Prefects

The days trailed on, Harry's hearing had taken place and thankfully he hadn't been expelled from Hogwarts which was a great relief for you all. Everyone seemed to be looking forward to going back to Hogwarts well, everyone but Sirius. His moods had gotten worse as the days went on. He always sulked like a child at the mention of you all going back, it didn't help that he had to stay at the Black family house, he despised the house and you know if he could, he'd burn the place down without a second thought.

Now you were currently sat in Harry's room as he started to pack his things for school the next day. "You excited to go back?" You asked as you watched the boy cleanout Hedwigs cage.

"I've never been more excited." He gave you a small smile. "Me too, I just don't want to leave Sirius here... he hates it as it is -"

"We can't do much about that."

"I know... I'll be back here with him after school ends though. It's my final year."

"Who'll rescue me from Malfoy?" Harry laughed knowing full well he'd be fine but it was always an added bonus when you were there to stop Draco before matters escalated.

"I'm sure you'll live." As you finished your sentence Ron burst into the room carrying several envelopes.

"Booklists have arrived." Ron said as he passed you your letter and threw Harry's his. Harry caught his as he swept away the last of the mess he'd made. "About time, I thought they'd forgotten, they usually come much earlier than this."

You and the boys ripped open your letters to reveal your new booklist for the year. Thankfully you didn't need much due to it being both yours and the twins last year. "Only two new ones this year, The standard book of Spells, Grade 5, by Miranda Goshawk, and Defensive Magical Theory, by Wilbert Slinkhard." Ron spoke to Harry.

Harry was also looking at his list but Ron's caught your eye. Unlike the rest of you he didn't have just one piece of parchment, he had two. As you were about to question the boy when both Fred and George Apprated next to you.

"We were just wondering who set the Slinkhard book." Fred said.

"Because it means Dumbledore's found a new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher." George said.

"And about time too,"

"What d'you mean?" Harry asked.

"Well, we overheard Mum and Dad talking on the Extendable Ears a few weeks back," Fred answered Harry. "and from what they were saying Dumbledore was having real trouble finding anyone to do the job this year."

"Are you surprised?" You spoke up. "Look at what happened to the last four."

"Yeah I see what you mean." Fred replied. "What's up with you Ron?" Fred and the others had finally picked up on Ron's expression and the fact that he was staring at another piece of Parchment that none of you had. His mouth was slightly ajar yet he said nothing which caused Fred to question him again.

"What's the matter?" Fred grew impatient and grabbed the piece of parchment he was holding. Freds expression quickly changed to mirror Rons. "Prefect?" Fred said in astonishment. "Prefect!"

George lept forward and grabbed the letter from his twins grasp to see for himself. As he grabbed the letter Ron's badge fell into his palm. "No way..."

"There's been a mistake." Fred grabbed the letter back and held it to the light.

"Fred!" You scolded the boy. "Well done Ron!" You tried to give his brother some encouragement unlike his two older brothers.

"T-thank you (y/n)..." Ron gave you a small smile.

"No one in their right mind would make Ron a prefect. We thought you were a cert!" Fred added.