41 - The Ministry and Hogwarts

Ron was still on a high after his Quidditch tryouts for the rest of the week, it was nice to see the boy finally celebrating something that you knew Fred and George wouldn't be able to ruin. Now, you were sat in the Great Hall eating breakfast listening to Ron telling Harry about the tryouts when the Owls came soaring in with the post. 

"What the bloody hell is Hermes doing here?" Fred asked as the large owl landed right in front of you. Hermes stood there with a letter in his beak clearly addressed to you. 

"Thank you, Hermes," You took the letter out of his beak and pushed your breakfast plate towards him. "Take what you want off the plate." You told the bird as you ripped open the letter. 

"Is that from Percy?" George asked. 

"I believe so." You replied unfolding the pieces of parchment in the envelope. 

Dear (y/n), 

I am thankful that you're well and safe. I was told by the Minister of magic that he got word that you've fulfilled Oliver's role as Quidditch Captain, congratulations (y/n) you deserve it. Oliver wouldn't have given you the title unless he believed you fit to carry it out. 

I want to give you some advice regarding recent events. I hope you'll keep this away from prying eyes and to carefully think about what you're doing. Nothing will put you in danger more than associating with Harry Potter. I know you don't want to lose your place as Quidditch captain and fraternising with Harry will lead to that happening. Oliver wouldn't want that either. 

I advise you to read the Daily Prophet today. It'll give you a good insight of what's happening. Dolores Umbridge is a truly delightful woman who will be happy to help you should you need anything. The Professors at Hogwarts are showing little co-operation for Umbridge, she strives to make the necessary changes within the school. The Daily Prophet should explain more. 

One last thing, I have hinted, Dumbledores regime at Hogwarts may soon be over. (y/n) your loyalty and everyone else's loyalty should not be to him but to the school and Ministry. 

I am sorry I was unable to see you this summer but I can already guess Fred and George kept you company for those long weeks. It pains me to criticise my parents but I am afraid I can no longer live under their roof while they remain mixed up with the dangerous crowd around Dumbledore. 

Please think carefully about what I've said. Take care of yourself (y/n). You may use Hermes for as long as you like, he's happy to be around you. 

Your friend, 

Percy

"I can't believe this!" You passed the letter around. "He's defending Umbridge. 'A truly delightful woman' What lies have they been feeding him at the Ministry?" 

"It's Percy, he's a prat." Fred moaned as he looked over the letter. 

"Mione, have you got today's Daily Prophet?" You asked. 

"I almost forgot!" She gasped as she unravelled the paper and flattened the paper out so you could all see the headline which read : 

MINISTRY SEEKS EDUCATIONAL REFORM DOLORES UMBRIDGE APPOINTED FIRST EVER HIGH INQUISITOR

"Umbridge - 'High inquisitor'?" Harry said darkly. "What does that mean?" Hermione started to read the paper aloud. 

"In a surprise move last night the Ministry of Magic passed new legislation giving itself an unprecedented level of control at Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry."