45 - The Lion and the Serpent

Today was the first Quidditch match of the year. Gryffindor was to play Slytherin in front of the whole school, including Umbridge. Despite Alicia Spinnet being jinxed by the Slytherin keeper, Miles Bletchley a day before the game you were feeling confident about your chances. Ever since Harry joined the team Slytherin had never beaten you although, you had always had been with Oliver and despite Oliver always being a nervous wreck before a game he always found a way to calm you down. 

The morning was bright and cold but thankfully it wasn't raining so you all didn't have to worry about being blinded by the rain. You walked into the Great Hall and roars and cheers sounded from the Gryffindor table, many of the Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws were also cheering, unlike the Slytherins. The only Slytherin who seemed to be cheering you on was Sabella but that was only because of how much she despised Adrian. 

You sat down at the table next to Fred only to see Ron looking as pale as nearly headless Nick. It was evident he was nervous for the match but you honestly didn't think he'd be as nervous as this. 

"I must've been mental to do this," Ron said in a croaky whisper. "Mental." 

"Don't be thick." Harry said firmly as he passed Ron some cereal. "You're going to be fine. It's normal to be nervous." 

"I'm rubbish." Ron croaked. "I'm lousy. I can't play to save my life. What was I thinking?"

"Ron you aren't lousy." You sent the boy a small smile in an attempt to calm his nerves. "Look, we all work as a team and we will help you out if you get too nervous. Me and the girls will do our best to keep the Quaffle down Slytherins end and Fred and George will aim Bludgers at the Slytherins if they get too close, it'll be fine."

"Get a grip, Ron." Harry added. "Look at that save you made with your foot the other day, even Fred and George said it was brillaint." Harry gestured to his older brothers who were sat opposite him. 

"It was good little brother." Fred spoke up sending an encouraging look to Ron.

"Better than anything Miles Bletchley can do." George said.

"That was an accident." Ron whispered thinking back to your last practice. "I didn't mean to do it - I slipped off my broom when none of you were looking and when I was trying to get back on I kicked the Quaffle by accident."

"Well ..." Harry now had an uneasy look on his although he tried not to show it. "a few more accidents like that and the game's in the bag, isn't it?" 

Hermione and Ginny had now walked in and taken a seat next to you and Fred. The two were both wearing red and gold scarves, gloves and rosettes. "How're you feeling?" Ginny asked Ron who was now staring into the dregs of milk at the bottom of his empty cereal bowl as though he was seriously considering attemping to drown himself in them. 

"He's just nervous." Fred replied for him. 

"Well, that's a good sign, I never feel you perform as well in exams if you're not a bit nervous." Hermione said heartily. 

"Hello." A dreamy voice caught your attention. Walking towards you all was Luna Lovegood who was wearing a large hat shaped like a life-size lion's head. A few students pointed and laughed at the girl but they quickly turned back around once you'd stared them down. 

Although no one in your year seemed to care that you'd openly admitted that Sirius Black was your adopted Dad some of the younger students did and a few who'd turned up for the meeting in the Hog's head a few days back stayed clear of you after finding out you'd duelled Tom Riddle in the Chamber of Secrets.

"Good morning Luna." You smiled at the girl. 

"Morning (y/n), good luck on your first game as captain ... I'm sure you'll do exceptionally well."