39 - The Detention

You eventually made it to Snape's classroom where you proceeded to knock on the door and wait for an answer. You didn't have to wait long before a dull tone sounded from the room. Pushing the door open you were met with his face and several third years turned around to see who was disturbing their lesson. 

"Professor Umbridge sent me out of class and instructed me to stay here." You held out the note she'd given you for Snape to read. He eyed the note for a few seconds before instructing you to sit down by his desk. You threw your stuff down and opened the book Umbridge had given you. 

"Look at this!" You shoved the book over to Snape who was now stood in front of the desk. He took the book into his own hands and started to flick through the pages giving you a disgusted yet confused look. "How are we supposed to learn with that?" You asked as Snape set the book back down in front of you. 

"It's only due to the Ministry ..." The man trailed off. 

"But why?" 

"Potter has caused quite a stir in the Ministry ..." 

"He isn't lying!" 

"We will see ... it seems as if Miss McGonagall you are to stay here all day."

"What?" You asked in disbelief. The man passed the paper he still had to you. You took the paper and read it, it stated: 

MISS (Y/N) MCGONAGALL IS TO SPEND THE REST OF HER STUDY TIME WITH PROFESSOR SNAPE AS PUNISHMENT FOR DISRUPTING MY CLASS. SHE IS ALSO TO SEE ME FOR DETENTION TONIGHT IN MY OFFICE. 

DOLORES UMBRIDGE 

"Brilliant." You muttered scrunching the note up and throwing the paper across the table. You huffed and started to work as best you could in the class. Hours and hours and passed, it felt like the day couldn't go on any longer. You weren't allowed to leave for lunch or dinner instead, you were given a plate and spent your time with Snape. 

"Surely she isn't allowed to do this..." You said as you started to eat the plate of food Snape had given you.

"Acording to Dumbledore she is." 

"I hate her." 

"That makes two of us." Snape muttered as he ate. The conversation died down after that. The two of you ate in silence but that only left your mind to wonder. Wondering how your mother was able to speak to you through the necklace. Curiosity took over and you started to speak again. 

"Professor ..." 

"Hmm?" 

"May I ask you a question?" 

"Aren't you already doing so?" 

"Is it possible for someone's soul to be kept alive in an object? Something like a necklace perhaps? I mean I know Tom Riddle kept his memory alive in a diary but perhaps something different, something more protecting and present?" 

"McGonagall is there something you would like to share with me?" 

"Don't tell Mum please ..."

"Now when have I ever spilled a secret of yours?" Snape was right. Despite his reputation Snape did have a soft spot for you, If that was even possible. He'd looked after you when you were little and helped babysit you. Even if he did leave you in the forbidden forest when you were four. He was a trustworthy man when it came to secrets, especially yours. It wouldn't be the first time you'd told him something like this. 

"Barty, he gave me this necklace when I was with him ... the night Cedric was killed." You unclasped the necklace and handed it to him. He accepted and started to look over it.