Chapter 76

Chapter 76

November 14th 3018 TA

Thranduil was in his throne room when a messenger from the border walked in. "Yes?" Thranduil asked.

"The patrol sent to Imladris has returned, my lord."

"Is that all?"

"Not quite." Thranduil raised an eyebrow and the messenger shifted. "Your son is not with them." Thranduil stared at him for a second.

Then, trying not to panic, he calmly asked, "Do you know why?"

"Not as yet, my lord."

"You may rest here tonight and return to your post tomorrow." Thranduil said.

"Thank you, my lord." The messenger said bowing and walking out of the room.

Thranduil had felt nothing wrong with Legolas, so he could not be hurt. There were few options as to why he could be missing. And for some reason that did not make the king feel any better.

November 16th 3018 TA

It was now the 16th of November. The patrol had finally reached the Palace. The assumed leader as Legolas was not with them stepped up. "My lord, I am not sure why he did not return. He did not tell us. He said it was important you heard what it was and no one else." Thranduil stood, worry filling him, and walked down the steps. He took the outstretched letter from the Elf and turned away.

"You may go." He said softly. The patrol all slowly turned away and left. Thranduil exited the throne room and walked to his study where he opened the letter.

Ada,

I am sorry to have sent word in such a way. I did not know how else to send word. I could not return myself and then come back to Imladris to fulfill what I have promised. I know that you might have need of me there, but Ortherion can take on my military duties and will probably fulfill them better than I. In either case, you probably wish to know what it is I have promised.

I can hardly bring myself to write these words, but I shall anyway. When we arrived, I went to Elrond's study to give him the news but he was preoccupied. And so he told me to wait and give it the next day at a Council. At the Council, word was told that something has been found. I am not sure I can write the words here in case it is intercepted, but I shall do my best to impart the same message. You told me once you had seen a King of the past make a mistake, and that what he kept for his own he later lost and it was never found. What you fear has come to pass, though it has not been retrieved by its Master as yet.

The Burglar that broke open our dungeons had found it, and now his nephew carries the same. Elrond has assigned him a task. I have said I will protect him. I trust you understand my meaning. Estel is coming as well, as is your daughter's kidnapper. The nephew I spoke of has several friends who are each going as well. The son of one previously in our dungeons is also going. Lastly, a man that protects Gondor's throne is coming. There are 9 of us.

I truly apologize for doing this to you, but I feel in my heart this is the right thing to do. On his way here, the nephew was intercepted by 9 shadows, including the one that once came to us. Elrond wishes to know, have you seen one? We are trying to figure out if our way is clear. Those you have banished and Estel are searching for traces of them even now, but they cannot come to Mirkwood.

I long to see the day when we meet again, but I fear it will not be until this war is over. May it fare well under the trees of Eryn Galen, and I pray you understand what I am doing and why. Have faith in me.