Chapter 65

c. 2949 TA

"Come," Almiel said when they left the room. "I will show you where you will stay whilst you are here." She led him to a room that was rather nice. It had a small window where sunlight was beginning to stream into the room. Curious, he walked over to the window and looked out. What he saw was a city in the woods and was so much a part of the woods, that he was not sure his eyes were not deceiving him. But there, there were Elves walking to and fro doing what people do on most days. Most were carrying out tasks that they probably had since they were of age or before. No elflings graced the paths. Almiel remained the youngest in the city though there were a few only a decade or so older than her.

The woods themselves had a dark look to them though here the darkness was not as menacing in the presence of Mirkwood's caretakers. Not only that but (though Estel did not know it) since Almiel had been born, the woods around the Palace had grown bright with her gift.

Estel sighed and turned back around, now noticing his things had been placed carefully on his bed. He went to the washroom and found a bath newly drawn and waiting for him. He gladly stripped and allowed his sore muscles to rest from the journey in the bath's warm waters. When the water decided to grow cold and his fingers become prunes, he got out and dried. With the towel wrapped around him, he went into his bedroom to don his clothing but he found a gift from the Elves laying out for him. It was a set of Elven garments, Mirkwood style, and a matching pair of boots. It amused him, however, that the shoes had been altered to have more of a sole to protect his feet. It was a not so subtle reminder that he was indeed human, no matter how much he sometimes wished otherwise.

It also reminded him that his father had told him it would be a lesson in politics. Thranduil had seemed kind and generous as Almiel had said he would, but his father's words on the Elvenking and the situation with his brothers reminded him that if his hand was forced Thranduil would be merciless. Estel also vaguely remembered his father telling him of Thranduil's part in the Battle of Five Armies and he had no wish to be on the King's bad side.

Almiel… Almiel was another story. She had the same air of royalty and power exuding from her, but her eyes made him feel as if he were laid open and his very soul was visible to her. He had felt the same only once before when he had met his grandmother. When she spoke, she did not sound like Galadriel. She sounded joyful and melodic as most Elves did, but her words penetrated where Galadriel's did not. Her words seemed powerful enough to pierce the soul, if only to bring it joy. Estel would be glad to get to know the Princess as well as the Prince.

Now dressed, he wondered what the Elves had concerning food here. He exited his room and looked around for an Elf to guide him through the Palace. He heard laughter down the corridor and he turned. He saw Legolas, now newly cleaned up, as well as Almiel walking toward him. Almiel had been laughing at something the Prince had said and now the Prince was smiling as well. They both stopped when they saw him.

Legolas then grinned. "Hmmm," he said, "I think you might be on your way from being an acorn."

"Do I look like a leaf?" Aragorn asked, his eyes brightening.

"No," Legolas said, "more like a ripe nut." Aragorn turned downcast. "But we will get there." Legolas finished. Aragorn looked up and smiled at him again. "Hmmm, yes, we shall get there. First however, we will need to get food." Aragorn brightened considerably.

Almiel laughed again. "Come, we shall beg food of the cooks."

*

Estel found his time in the Elvenking's palace quite cheerful that night. He noticed what Almiel had noticed years before. Imladris was peaceful, calm, tranquil, but somber. Here the danger was ever present, but so was joy. No one was quite sure when news of another attack would reach them, or even if an attack would reach the palace, but there was happiness here. Unlike at home, where few laughed and some seemed scared to smile, these Elves seemed quite merry. At one point he glanced at Legolas who sat next to him. "I thought it was dangerous here."