Chapter 79

November 20-21 3018 TA

Almiel walked along the hallway toward her room. She heard someone clearing their throat. She looked and her mouth dropped open. Haldir laughed as she ran to him and he hugged her. "What are you doing here?"

Haldir laughed again. "Galadriel sent me to your father. I could not very well say no. Besides, I told you I would come here again."

"I know, but this is soon, and unexpected."

"Is it really?" Haldir asked.

"Well," Almiel said thinking about it, "Maybe not. Why did you not say something when we spoke?"

"I did not know then." He said. "Since I am here, will you let me take you to the feast tomorrow?"

Almiel smiled, "Of course."

"Then I shall see you then." He said lifting her hand to kiss it.

*

Haldir showed up at her door a few minutes before the feast would start. It was the feast for Ennyn Rhîw, or the Gates of Winter. It started at dusk and would end when dawn came. "Ready?" He asked her as she showed up.

"Yes," she answered. They walked down the Palace hallways to the Ball Room. It was because of the darkness that Thranduil chose to keep the feast inside instead of outside. Almost all of Mirkwood, save for scouts and patrols, was at the feast. It was also set up so that the scouts and patrols would switch in the midnight hour to allow those out now to get a chance to relax and feast.

Thranduil had broken out the best of everything, he figured the moral it would give his people would gain more than the loss. The Ball Room was decorated quite beautifully, and Almiel wondered how it had happened so fast. Thranduil had only declared a feast the day before.

"I cannot believe how fast he prepared this." She mentioned to Haldir.

"Mmm, I guess Elves can work fast when they want too." He said. They sat at the head table, where two seats sat empty in honor of the Queen and Prince. Thranduil sat in the middle, the two empty seats on the left side of him. Thranduil tasted the wine first, and then the feast began.

They ate rather late into the night, it was probably one when the feasting ended and the dance officially began though food was still being served. It would be served again when the patrols switched.

When the dance started, Haldir extended his hand to her. Walk with me? He asked her. She looked at him curiously.

Okay. She said. She took his hand and he led her from the Palace and into the woods below what would have been her balcony.

Thranduil watched as Haldir took Almiel's hand and led her away. He sighed inwardly. Please let her marry, let her live before she dies. He prayed to the Valar, if they were listening. He supposed they would watch her since they made her, though he was not even sure of that any more. He then looked back toward the dance. Ever since Oiolairë died he had not danced, not necessarily because of a lack of options, Almiel had offered more times than he could quite remember. No, it was by choice, he simply had no inclination toward it when his soul mate was no longer here.

He did see, however, that the two guards who had both asked Thranduil for Almiel before simply for a dance were now dancing with their own partners. The first was now married, finding their real bond mate at the same dance that they originally had asked Almiel too. The other was courting an elleth Thranduil was sure he would marry later. Hence one reason why he said no to him at first.

That particular guard member did not miss the fact that Haldir and Almiel had left the feast however. Thranduil saw his eyes trail after them, but he said nothing as he saw Thranduil's warning glance directed at him.