Chapter 97

March 4-5 3019 TA

As the Elves prepared to depart, the company that was to go to Isengard also readied to depart. "We are ready." Orophin said, shouldering his pack. Haldir did not grab his own.

"You will not return in this Age." He looked out across the plains.

"Haldir?"

Haldir stayed quiet. Why was he not to return? He could return now, without much thought. But then it dawned on him. The voice who had told him to turn. Galadriel's cryptic message. She was allowing him leave. She was telling him that if he survived, he was to go where fate decided. "I am not going." Haldir said quietly.

Orophin stared at him. "But why? We will be fighting our own battles soon enough!"

"Yes." Haldir agreed. "And it is best if you return swiftly so that all may rest before then."

"Haldir-."

Rúmil walked up to them. "What is going on?"

"He says he is not coming."

"What? Why not?"

Haldir glanced away once more before he met Rúmil's gaze. "You have been asking me what Galadriel said. I am not to return. She told me herself."

"Why ever not? Why should you stay? We have to fight our own war."

"I do not know yet. But such is what she told me." Haldir paused. "Do not argue with me. I will stay here. Take our people home. Leave me to my own devices."

Rúmil looked ready to argue. Orophin was studying him intently. "No, Rúmil, he is right." Rúmil looked at Orophin incredulously. Orophin still studied Haldir closely.

Rúmil looked between the two for a long moment before he sighed. "As you wish then." He stepped up to Haldir.

"I... Namárië." Rúmil looked like he wished to say more but instead he turned away. He paused in his steps and looked back at his brother. "Try to come home in one piece."

Haldir smiled and nodded. "Namárië."

Then he turned to Orophin. Orophin stepped closer to him. "Is this what Galadriel told you? You are sure?"

"Yes."

"This is not about her?"

Haldir looked at him, cocking his head. "What makes you say that?"

"If you are staying for her-."

"Then what?" Haldir sighed and bowed his head. "I do not know what it is about. Galadriel told me I would not return to Lórien in this Age."

Orophin's eyes searched his. "And if you die? What shall we do?"

Haldir shrugged. "Do as you will. You no longer need me as you once did. You are both wise and strong."

Orophin sighed and glanced at the company. Rúmil was waiting. "And if she dies?"

"I told you once. It does not matter now." Orophin frowned.

"You are sure? You never married."

"I don't need to be reminded." Haldir said through his teeth.

"I don't mean to offend you. I am only stating what I know. You may not die if she does unless you marry."

Haldir glanced away once more, looking out toward the plains. "No... If I do not die, then I shall fade. We are too much a part of each other now."

"So if you had died yesterday, would she?"

Haldir thought it over. "She is stronger than I." He said softly. He cocked his head. "Stop worrying for something that did not happen. If something does happen you shall be well able to take care of Rúmil. But there is nothing to say it will."