Chapter 8

c. 2060

The next morning Legolas ran into his friend. "Haldir!" He said seeing him across the room. Haldir turned and grinned.

"It's been too long." He said and they clasped arms. Legolas felt his sister enter the room, finally having awoken.

Come sister I have someone for you to meet. Almiel came up behind Legolas but appeared shy and stayed behind his leg. Haldir knelt down.

"And who is this?" Legolas glanced amused at his sister. No matter that people came to meet the Princess everyday, somehow, Almiel still had a shyness problem.

"It's supposed to be the, ah, Aranel, but apparently she likes to hide behind my legs." Almiel seemed to shrink further into his legs as he spoke. Almiel? Why are you always so shy?

It's a new person, was her answer.

Come on! He said. She peeked around his legs at the smiling blonde elf in front of her. His eyes twinkled when he saw her.

"Hello." He said. She blushed and hid behind Legolas again. Legolas rolled his eyes and grabbed her. He swung her onto his side holding her close so she could not escape.

"Almiel, this is Haldir." Haldir smiled and took her hand.

"It's a pleasure, Milady." She blushed even more if possible when he lightly kissed her hand, but it went away as quickly as it came and Legolas felt shock coming through their bond.

Despite her shock, she smiled and said, "Hi." Legolas sighed.

"Obviously she is no diplomat yet." He looked at her. "Some excuse for a Princess you are." His voice was lilting and full of laughter as he said it. She gave him an "oops" smile.

"Like you were any better at forty." Haldir teased. Legolas put her down and crossed his arms.

"I most certainly was." Haldir rolled his eyes.

He gave the Princess a meaningful look and said, "No he was not." Legolas eyed him which only made Haldir laugh.

"I cannot believe I used to tolerate you, much less impart my skill to you."

"Just because you taught me to shoot doesn't mean you imparted your skill to me. Besides, you think I am to like you to do any less than tolerate me." Legolas only narrowed his eyes further. Haldir smiled at his sister. "He only gets like this when someone beats him at his own game." Almiel glanced up at her brother, eyes curious.

"Don't believe a word he says. He likes to think he's better than me." Almiel frowned slightly and looked at Haldir.

"And you better not believe your brother. His pride is only challenged by that of his father's. He says things like that when his pride is wounded."

"My pride-!"

Haldir waved whatever Legolas might have said down. "Will survive to make you stubborn another day. Are we not supposed to be getting ready to leave?" Legolas let his arms go.

"I suppose. I'll meet you at the gate at dawn." Haldir inclined his head but still in a rather sarcastic way.

"Of course, My Ever Diplomatic Prince, I'm not really yours to command." He said and walked away leaving Legolas nursing his wounded ego. Then Legolas turned to Almiel.

"What was wrong?" Almiel's eyes widened at him.

"I… I couldn't feel him…" She said. "And… and when he touched me… I couldn't help him…" She paused and then looked meaningfully at him, "Legolas… he helped me."