Chapter 46

c. 2810 TA

Almiel turned toward the Mirror, her steps slow but steady. Galadriel watched with probably too much anticipation than was healthy, but Almiel paid her no mind. Almiel then looked up from the edge at the other three who all nodded at her. Remember, do not touch the water. Galadriel told her. Almiel nodded once and then looked down.

Then the Mirror came to life:

There was a single bright, white light but nothing else. It seemed to Almiel that it was full of joy, but that was not entirely certain. The light lasted for a few seconds and then faded.

The Mirror stirred, and Almiel saw herself back home in Mirkwood's throne room. Her father was standing in front of the room, looking furiously angry. She stood across from him, not looking too happy either. In fact, they appeared to be arguing with each other.

The vision then turned again, and Almiel saw an overcast sky, birds were circling overhead, but if they were fair or foul Almiel did not know. Looking forward she saw many people, small and tall, fair and plain, all waiting for something. What it was, the Mirror did not show her.

It changed again, and she saw herself again home. Haldir was there, and they seemed to be alone walking through the forest. She stopped and glanced back at him. She saw him say something, but whatever they were she could not hear them. He raised her hand to his lips and kissed it.

She saw Legolas next. He seemed to be preparing to leave. He was dressed in green and brown, hair braided back. He carried his bow and his knives, but for some reason Almiel knew that it was no simple patrol he was leaving on. He kissed her on the cheek, she supposed to say farewell, before mounting his horse and galloping out of Mirkwood with four others behind him.

Fading away she saw several fast images:

Legolas was running, to or from what, she did not know. She saw him stop and look up. Above him an eagle soared overhead. He pointed upward, shouting, but then the image faded.

She saw herself, again with Haldir, this time in Lórien, both of them were lying on a flet looking up at the stars. She could tell, however, that her eyes were almost shut in exhaustion, and his were worried.

She saw herself gallop out of Lórien, but this time South.

She saw a line of Elves marching to war, Haldir leading them. They arrived, and Almiel saw a strange man greet Haldir along with her brother. Her brother was still dressed as he had been when he had left.

Mirkwood was burning.

A tall tower rose into the sky, inside two white clad beings stared at each other, and though their faces were hidden from view, it seemed like a confrontation.

The Black Gate of Mordor opened. Sauron was whole. From the side, the some hooded figure from before approached him, when he turned to see the figure, Sauron stepped back, surprised. Then he hissed. In front of him on a horse sat her brother.

She again saw her father. He was dressed for war. He was riding upon his stallion through the forest. Orcs and Spiders were slowly backing away from the oncoming army, but all of the sudden he clutched his heart and began to fall. His horse reared, and the Orcs saw their oppurtunity.

Then last, she saw herself, dressed in white, lain ceremoniously on a table. Legolas sat nearby, sorrow clearly etched on his face. Mithrandir was there as well. He said something and put his hand on Legolas' shoulder.

Then darkness.

It was there that Galadriel thought the vision ended for she saw no more. Almiel, however, was clearly seeing something more. A few moments later, Almiel raised her eyes to see concern clearly laid upon the others' hearts. She seemed at peace, and truly she was. Whatever she must have seen had to have given her hope. Or else she was completely fine with dying.

In either case, Almiel stepped rather calmly away from the Mirror. Gandalf's eyes appeared the most tearful, for he truly loved the child as a grandfather might love a granddaughter, ever since he had first met her in Imladris. She walked over to him and touched him on the hand. He was amazed with her small smile. Hope is not lost. She told him and sent him a wave of warmth. Celeborn shifted.

"You do not have to do this, Almiel. You never had to do this. You do not have to die."

Almiel merely smiled as if pitying his childish view. This amused Gandalf somewhat though he still wished she could live. "You three must not understand. What is life for if not for death? I may be young in your eyes, but I have lived long enough to understand that if I am given a choice, and everyone is, then I will choose to die rather than live a self-comforting life. I have lived giving everything to everyone but myself my entire life, much to the detriment of my father, but I will continue to do so until the Valar call me: by death or sea."

"What of your father then? Your brother? Or Haldir for that matter?" Galadriel asked. "They wish for you to be slightly more selfish."

"Yes, they probably do. The time will come when they will see. They will understand one day, when the time is right. Until then, I will have to fight them to see my view, and as Mithrandir pointed out so clearly, I am obviously my father's child and he will have his own wrath to deal with should he try to stop me."

"Strong words," Celeborn said, "But no one wishes you death, and I do not believe you truly wish to die."

"No one does, except perhaps the immortal occasionally. Nay, I do not wish to die. But if I live, I wish to live well, and if I am to die, I would like to die doing what I can to help. I was born gifted, and I shall use my gifts until I am no longer able to do so." She paused. Then she looked at Galadriel, "Your old fear has been put to rest, but I am beginning to see the clouds of a new one forming. Do not let it be so." She paused again. "I thank you all for caring, but I know what I am to do- with or without the vision from the Mirror." Without further ado, she inclined her head and swept from their presence. They all stared at her as she went.

They said nothing verbally, but looking at each other, they knew what each of them were thinking.

Who is that child?

What bothers me... Gandalf started and the other two looked at him. The Orcs in Mirkwood and the forest burning.

Or perhaps the king clutching his heart? Celeborn said. If Mirkwood loses him, it will collapse.

Yes, that is worrisome, but that is not as concerning as what we did not see. Whatever it was, it was meant for the Princess and only for her.

And it gave her hope. Celeborn added.

And a lot of it. Gandalf added.

How? How could one scene show her something that would erase the previous one? Celeborn asked.

Galadriel looked up at the sky. What could she have seen that would give her such hope?