Chapter 52

c. 2935 TA

Legolas was eating dinner that night on his balcony, mostly to avoid any disagreements or possible blood feud, when Elrond came and requested entrance. "I am truly sorry for earlier." Elrond said to him. "I did not realize the situation was that desperate." Legolas silently ate his food, debating how to answer.

"How?" Legolas finally asked. "We have been sending reports, through both Lórien and Radagast to the White Council for years trying to say how desperate we are without saying as much. We thought that after the incident with the Witch-King you would respond differently."

"It had been over eight hundred years since then. We thought the threat had lessened."

"Does Mithrandir seriously think that after what he saw himself?"

"I know not. I think we must have all been blinded. By what, I know not unless it was the Dark Lord himself." Elrond said.

More like the White Wizard. Legolas thought to himself. "No matter, as long as something is done."

"I will speak with Lady Galadriel soon." Elrond said. "How is your stay, as short as it is?"

"It was well, I stumbled across your son again. He is quite the charmer." Legolas spoke casually but his gaze pierced Elrond with questions. Elrond sighed.

"Indeed, little Estel is as mischievous as I remember you once were. A woman brought him here asking for sanctuary which I granted and I took him in as my own."

"Quite a rare thing for an Elven lord to do, is it not?"

Elrond remained quiet for a minute as he thought out how to best answer the question. "You have ridden with the Rangers before have you not?"

"Indeed," Legolas answered.

"Were you aware that they are distantly related to myself? Descendants of my brother?"

"I was, at least some of them. I remember Mithrandir saying something to the affect that they were the last of the Kings of old."

"He spoke truth. I think all of them are in actuality. Their leader is their Chieftain, and the last heir to the throne. His name was Arathorn, but he died not a short while ago."

"And his wife brought Estel here?"

"Well… in a way. That child did not bear Estel's name." Elrond said. "But we knew the Enemy would be hunting him."

"And you think he could be found here?" Legolas asked. "Here where your power still hides what is left?"

"We did not know, but I doubt Estel will actually stay here. When he does leave, I prefer he not know his actual identity until he has learned enough to keep it hidden himself."

The last of the line of kings. Legolas thought. "It seems the fate of the world is coming closer."

"I suppose it now means something more personal for both of us." Elrond said. Legolas lowered his gaze back to his plate where his fingers idly rolled a strawberry.

"We know… no matter how many times she has reassured us, my father is becoming increasingly protective. He hardly lets her out of the Palace gate now."

"How is she taking that?"

Legolas smiled wryly. "Not that well. I think she is wondering why he had finally seemed to accept her position before locking her in the Palace."

"Small wonder," Elrond said, "As a father we all feel that way without prophecies hanging over our children."

"Yours do have a choice to make, don't they? Have any of them decided?" Legolas asked.

"I doubt my eldest even think of it. They seem to be content wandering the wilds looking for Orcs to kill with the Rangers. Arwen though, I will not leave here to die." Legolas' face had darkened at mention of the twins, but he said nothing in regard to them.

"I do not blame you. Though I cannot imagine my father taking too kindly to Almiel Sailing any more than he would to her dying."

"Only because he is not, at the moment anyway."

"My father won't Sail, not unless he had no other choice. As long as he is able to stay here, he will."

"Are you so sure? He is Sindar, he would feel the call like any other. And what of your mother?"

"My father has found himself deeply comfortable as King of Mirkwood for quite sometime, and no matter the darkness, he will fight for his kingdom until he dies. And if the darkness should be vanquished, well, he has been given a chance to Sail before and he refused quite vehemently. As for my mother… he knows that she is not alone in Aman, her parents are there. Both of them agreed, even before this Age, that if there was something here to stay for and one of them died… the other would do their best to stay. Nay, he will stay until the breaking of the world, if given the chance."

Elrond nodded, though he knew he himself would not ever be able to stay. As soon as this Age was over, it would be upon him to Sail, by choice or not. "Will you still leave in the morning?"

Legolas nodded. "My presence here brings enough tension that should not be. I wish you luck in raising a new little one."

"Hannon le, I will need it ere this is over." Legolas smiled as Elrond began to leave. Elrond turned at the doorway to face him once more. "Just remember, there is hope yet." Estel… Legolas thought after Elrond left, pondering the fate of the child. Was it merely coincidence? Had two beings, one elleth and one child of Kings, been sent to Ennor for a time such as this? One to bring hope, the other to be hope? He was not sure. Legolas would rather not find out either.

The child he had seen so much of his sister in simply could not be fated to die either. The loss of two such beings to Ennor would make the world very dark indeed.

*

"Why is the leaf leaving?" Estel asked his father as they went to wish the Prince farewell. Legolas turned at hearing half his name in the voice of the child.

"I must return to my tree." Legolas said smiling. "But I shall return someday." Estel's face scrunched up pondering the statement and the promise.

"You must return soon then!" Estel cried, trying very hard to win the Prince over. Legolas laughed.

"You are very demanding, but if my father allows me leave, I shall return."

"Soon," Estel said insistent.

"Fine then, soon. Perhaps one day your father may even give leave for you to come to my tree." Elrond gave him a look as if to question his sanity.

Estel found the idea wonderful. Legolas smiled at the look Elrond gave him. Your other sons are not allowed in after all. If you are in need of an ambassador… He said to the Lord. Elrond sighed.

"Only when he is older. I am not sending him to Mirkwood for no reason either."

"But I want to visit tree! Maybe I can become leaf too!" Estel said excitedly.

"I doubt you would become a leaf, your coloring is more akin to an acorn." Legolas said very seriously. Estel's eyes widened. He turned to face his father.

"You must turn me green!" He said, suddenly very worried.

"See what you did?" Elrond teased the Prince. The Prince merely touched his hand to his heart and swung onto his horse, his guard beside him.

"Farewell young acorn! Farewell Lord Elrond!" He said and then turned his horse around. They began to ride away, but he smiled as he heard one last greeting.

"Bye Leaf Prince! I will visit your tree!" Estel would be an insistent lad to have to raise. Legolas realized Elrond just might have a harder time with that child than Thranduil had had with Almiel. Or at least just as hard a time. Legolas thought.

The thought made him laugh.