Chapter 72

June 19 3018

Gollum remained in Mirkwood as Gandalf had decided. Time started passing slower, as if all that was happening slowed down the continuum which the Elves had been living in for years. Months usually flew by like days, but now days seemed like years. Legolas was staying nearer to the Palace, and Thranduil was even more busy than usual. The darkening woods were more unsafe than they had ever been. Everyone was moving closer to the fortress. And Gollum still remained.

The Wood-Elves were kind to him. Almiel visited him several times a week. She spoke softly to him. He never really spoke much, and if he did he talked as he always had. But some things began changing. His eyes were less filled of hatred than they had been and curiosity started to fill them instead, even if he never said anything about it. After a while, the Elves started taking him outside. They led him to a single standing tree and let him climb it. Every night they persuaded him to come down, and if his guards could not, then Almiel could.

For some reason he listened to her. Whether it was because he had revealed his secret (or so he thought) to her or simply because she was the first kindness he had known for a long time. Things continued in the same manner. But the Enemy had grown quiet. Too quiet.

For a long time the darkness had not given them a break. It had been one attack after another- in some form or fashion. But this time all seemed quiet. The darkness had not lifted, but it had not come closer or grown stronger. As usual, Thranduil did not trust it. Something horrible was about to happen.

It was late June. The 19th to be exact.

The trees were quiet. The wind was still. Thranduil stood on a balcony overlooking the forest. He watched it carefully. He glanced up and looked at the sky. There were no clouds. Nothing to foretell disaster. But that was just it, there was nothing. "Ready the warriors. I fear something is about to happen." He told Legolas as he walked up behind him.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. Look." Thranduil said nodding to the woods below.

Legolas did as he was told. His eyes searched for anything out of place. "Nothing is out of the ordinary except-."

"Yes?"

"Its quiet. The trees are not even whispering."

"Exactly." Thranduil said. "Ready them. Sleep in shifts. Make sure they can fight at a moment's notice."

"You have trained them to do such. Why are you so worried now?"

"This is too close. If they attack us here, we cannot lose."

"We won't." Legolas said. "Stop worrying. If they attack us here we will be ready. Trust me." Legolas said.

Thranduil watched him turn and leave before he turned back to the forest. A slight breeze carried past his face and his eyes narrowed. It was coming soon.

June 20 3018

The three guards waited for Gollum at the bottom of the tree. "Perhaps we should go up and get him."

"Why? He will come down eventually. He cannot stay up there forever if he wishes to eat."

"Sméagol will not come?" Almiel asked as she walked up.

"Nay. Not today." The head guard replied after bowing slightly.

Almiel glanced up. Dusk was falling. She would normally climb up herself or allow them to remain at the bottom but tonight… a vague warning tingled at the back of her mind. "Is there no way to convince him?"

"Your Highness we have tried all we could. He will not come."

From up above Almiel heard him muttering. "Nasty Elvesss… We not have to see them much anymore. No…"