Chapter 14

c. 2063

"Our daughter is on her way." Thranduil said hugging his wife around the middle.

"Yes, and the danger is no longer as bad." Oiolairë said and smiled. "We will finally see our children again."

"Come, let us meet them." Thranduil said, feeling his son and daughter getting closer with every passing moment.

*

The Necromancer seethed as he wandered the wild having fled Dol Gulder. Cursed Wood-Elves… never know when not to interfere. This was not the first time Thranduil had disrupted his plans either. He knew it had to have been Thranduil who told the Wizard. The Elvenking pretended to be strong, but he was weak… so weak. He would pay for his mistakes. All in good time.He will never know what hit him either.

He summoned his loyalist, and deadliest servant.

*

Oiolairë hugged her daughter as soon as she got off Condu. Thranduil was quickly behind her.

"So what am I? A side bag? A spare arrow?" Legolas said teasingly, having been almost completely ignored.

Oiolairë laughed. "Well my son, you have to get used to the fact that your sister is the baby." Legolas begrudgingly let his mother hug him while smiling all the while. Suddenly, the panther materialized at the Princess' side and the King reached for his sword that was not there. He was about to call the Guard when Almiel stopped him.

"Peace Ada, she is my friend. We met in Lórien and it seems she decided to just follow me home." Thranduil stared at the beast, but when he looked into its eyes he saw the intelligence and peace toward the Princess that it had. Deciding it actually might keep his daughter safer, Thranduil knelt and held out his hand to the panther, singing softly to it. The panther sniffed his hand and then nuzzled it with its nose. Thranduil smiled and then stood, clasping arms with Legolas.

"Come my children. We have a feast to attend."

After the feast, Legolas and Almiel went to their room and looked out the window. "Home…" Legolas said softly.

Almiel nodded and leaned into Legolas' arms. "Home…" She echoed. She smiled softly as the panther curled up on the rug in Legolas' room. "She seems at home as well." She mentioned.

Legolas nodded. "Indeed." They went to sleep after that, knowing that they were finally home where they belonged.

2 years later:

c. 2065

Now forty-four, Almiel was almost nine in human years. Nothing much had changed except for perhaps she laughed a little more. This time they made sure that someone kept an eye on her so she never ran after Spiders or Orcs or Goblins. When it was not her brother or mother or even father, occasionally it was a member of the guard or a servant of the Palace. It also comforted most of them deeply that the panther, now named Rhavaniel, never left her side.

One night while Legolas was sleeping soundly beside her, she felt something she had never felt before. It was fear, yes, but it was rather morbid fear. She thought it was most akin to the Spider she had tried to help before.

As for herself, Almiel could not help but be slightly afraid herself. Of what, she knew not though she did know something so fearful should not come near the Palace. The Palace was a place for light and joyous things, not something so fearful it was practically radiating. She slipped out of bed and quietly stole out of the room, not even Rhavaniel noticing. Indeed, the fact that she was just as deeply asleep worried her further. She passed through the halls of the Palace quietly and without a sound. The fear only increased with every step she took.

The Witch King ran his master's words through his head. Make him suffer before he dies, his wife first. Also any that get in my way. Then come back. No need to make a scene.

The Witch King looked in the King's bedroom to see Thranduil firmly asleep. The spell cast over the Palace food for that day had worked rather well then. He had had to make sure that beast of theirs was drugged as well, but nothing was too hard for him. None would wake until he was ready for them to do so. First he walked in the room and stood over the Queen. Oiolairë would wake first, so he could feed off her fear before he decided Thranduil himself should wake.

He reached out his hand and placed it on her chest. "Wake, my Queen." He hissed.

Almiel's heart raced as she felt rather than heard the silent scream from her mother. Something was dreadfully wrong and though she knew not what it was exactly, she did know it came from the fear she felt increasing even now. She ran to her parent's bedroom, and then stopped quite suddenly as a wave of fear came over her, making her sway dizzily. She clutched at her stomach wondering if this might be too much for her, she sent a wake up call to her brother.

Legolas, wake! Something is wrong! It bothered her when he did not wake right away. Legolas, rise! Mother is in trouble! This seemed to work and she sent a wave of her own power to him to help him along. She felt his mind slowly come to consciousness.

What is it? He asked still rather groggy.

I'm not sure… Legolas, mother is in pain!

Strange, Legolas said, I should have felt her as well.

There is great fear and pain, Legolas, I… help. She said sounding defeated. Legolas knew that was not like his sister and heaved himself off the bed, his body still refusing to work on command. He shook his head wondering what was wrong. His whole body felt off and all he wanted to do was crawl back in bed. Legolas? She asked him sounding worried. Her worry however did him much good for he slowly put one foot in front of the other, putting all his effort into reaching his baby sister.

I'll be right there. He said, though he rather wondered if he really would.

*

Haldir went from a peaceful trance while watching the stars to a deep nightmare. Everything was black around him. He heard something like a plea for help, as well as a woman screaming. He saw faces fly past his vision though he knew not who they were. Then there was a dark melody and a vision of cruel steel forged by evil. He heard a smack and then red mingled with the black of his world. He heard a "No!" right before a golden light leaped at the figure with the cruel steel. He heard another anguished cry before flames leaped at the edges of his vision. Then all was dark, everything save for a flickering candle in the distance.