Chapter 82

December 25th 3018 TA

Legolas was the last to arrive, save Gandalf. He had been ready to go at dawn that morning, but he had gone to the room once occupied by his sister and retraced his footsteps to the garden.

"You should have seen his face when he did not find you in your room."

"I just did not want my father, the King of Mirkwood, to have to hear from me that I was too busy sleeping to protect my sister, his "blessed child." Haldir actually laughed at that.

"Well then I do not really blame you. You would have to be a rogue forevermore just to avoid his wrath." Legolas smiled.

So long ago, somewhere around nine hundred years, perhaps closer to a millennia. Here where they were still in awe of her gift, as well as confused by it. And here, where Haldir had first said that he had a different connection with her than any other. Legolas had stared at the riverbank where Almiel had called the birds to her, singing together until she sent one of them to retrieve her brother. Then they had sat by the riverbank until the twins had come, and they had… fun. It had been a merry gathering, playing in the river like children the entire time. Only Almiel had actually been a child. What Legolas would give for her to have stayed young and innocent, and for Elrohir to have never done what he did. They had been brothers.

The world had changed. Mirkwood was dying, Almiel was grown and now gone, and when Legolas had seen the twins of late, they both shot him glares or ignored him altogether. Though… he did the same to them.

He watched the sun pass over head, singing softly to himself, willing himself to have hope again. It was there that, as the sun descended, Aragorn found him. "Come little leaf," he said softly, "We are supposed to leave soon." Legolas did not turn to face him. He was watching the last of the sun's rays pass over the sky before twilight descended. Then his face bowed, and he whispered something so soft in his own tongue, Aragorn did not even hear it at first.

"Mellon nin?" Aragorn asked again. This time Legolas turned to him. His eyes were not bright like Aragorn remembered, they were dulled.

"I am coming, just give me a second." Aragorn sighed and turned to leave. This time he heard it, though it was so soft and in a dialect foreign to Aragorn's ears that he did not understand.

"My heart is heavy. If you really sent us here for a reason, please let us succeed. Save her."

Aragorn then went and sat with his head bowed to his knees. Only Elrond was fully aware of what this moment meant to him, though Legolas was a close second. A few minutes later Legolas joined the company, and he heard Sam start to go through his list.

Then Elrond and Gandalf came out. "This is my last word," he said, "The Ring-bearer is setting out on the Quest of Mount Doom. On him alone is any charge laid: neither to cast away the Ring, nor to deliver it to any servant of the Enemy nor indeed to let any handle it, save members of the Company and the Council, and only then in gravest need. The others go with him as free companions, to help him on his way. You may tarry, or come back, or turn aside into other paths, as chance allows. The further you go, the less easy it will be to withdraw; yet no oath or bond is laid on you to go further than you will. For you do not yet know the strength of your hearts, and you cannot foresee what each may meet upon the road."

Gimli spoke, being a stubborn dwarf, about how one should not say good-bye in the dark, but Elrond gently scolded him. "Or break it," Elrond answered, "Look not too far ahead! But go now with good hearts! Farewell, and may the blessing of Elves and Men, and all Free Folk go with you. May the stars shine upon your faces!" His eyes pierced each of them as he spoke, eyes resting curiously on Aragorn the longest. But to Legolas he spoke.