Chapter 111

April 3019 TA

Haldir had barely said a word to anybody, beyond the few words he had spoken to Aragorn, Gimli, and the hobbits the day before. Beyond that, he had murmured 'Your Majesty' when he first saw Thranduil and he had spoken a few words to Legolas when they were alone. Other than that, he had become mute. At this point, it was only Thranduil and Haldir sitting with Almiel.

"What is keeping you here?" Thranduil suddenly asked, softly. Haldir glanced up at him.

"Nothing," Haldir finally answered. "I-I thought I would join her."

Thranduil's eyes glanced over him. "Not necessarily, there are a few of us that stay." Haldir sighed.

"Perhaps, but I have neither child nor kingdom to keep me here." Haldir said. Thranduil cocked his head slightly.

"Hmmm, but, if I am right, you never married." Haldir's eyes fell.

"No. She refused." He sighed again. "I thought it would not matter." Thranduil sighed this time.

"If I were honest, I did not either." Haldir's eyes rose to meet his. "Why linger over her body?" Thranduil asked. "Why not sail?" Haldir sighed.

"I will, but the next ship does not leave until the Ring bearers do. It will not be for a while at least."

Thranduil's eyes turned into a mixture of compassion and pity. If anyone could understand each other, they could. They had already been through another mourning period together.

Thranduil sighed. "Do you really wish to Sail? You told me what your father told you. Were you not determined to never Sail?"

Haldir took a shaky breath. "I know." He said. His hand tightened on Almiel's arm and then loosened once more. "Things changed. What do I have to stay for?"

"Your brothers still live. Is not Orophin married now?"

Haldir nodded slowly. "Yes."

"Will you stay for them? Legolas is staying for a little while at least." Haldir looked at him, but this time remained silent again. Suddenly Thranduil stood, and Haldir's eyes revealed confusion. The King walked over to Haldir, grabbed him by the arm and pulled him up. "Come on," he said, beginning to steer him out the door.

"Your Majesty," Haldir started, partially trying to fight the king off.

Thranduil glanced at him, and then pushed him out of the tent. He was older, and Haldir found far stronger. Thranduil glanced around and then pushed Haldir towards the woods. Haldir soon stopped trying to fight, going along with this mad king's idea. When Thranduil finally stopped, Haldir glanced at him warily. "You know, Legolas has been trying to dispel rumors of your madness and-."

Thranduil raised an eyebrow. "I am not mad." He said quite simply. "You are the one going mad."

Haldir looked caught off guard. "I don't think-."

"You have not said hardly a word to anyone, except to me these past ten minutes. You have left her side even less, though somewhat admirable, you cannot drown yourself there. She is not there anymore, surely you of all people can feel that." Haldir stared at him silently. Thranduil stepped closer. "Would she want you to Sail?" Haldir's composure was breaking. He stumbled backwards and collapsed onto a larger rock behind him.

Then he glanced at the King. "Did I ever tell you everything my father said before he left?" Thranduil shook his head slowly. "I did not think so." Haldir said and then stared off, lost in a deep memory. "He said, 'You have my blessing. Not just in this, in all things. You have much to do here, ion nin. Do not sail unless you have nothing left. Do not be like me in this. If you have anything to stay for, stay. You are braver than I am, child. You will be blessed someday with love.' 'How do you know that?' I asked him. He told me that it was, 'Because there are some things a father knows. Your life is yet long before you. When the time comes, you will know what to do.' The words ring with such irony that you perhaps do not understand. Ever since November, every time we spoke, and even when she spoke to Legolas, she always told us we would know, we would know what to do when the time came. She also said I would know when that time came. Well, the time must have come and passed, and now I can only hope she will be released." Haldir ended, voice breaking.