Chapter 98

March 5 3019 TA

Gandalf and Théoden's company took leave of the hobbits and went to go find Treebeard while Legolas, Aragorn, Gimli, and by consequence Haldir spoke with Merry and Pippin to eat and learn the remainder of each other's tales. After they spoke of all they could, they went into Isengard themselves to find Gandalf and Théoden. When they spotted them, Gandalf rode forward to meet them. "Well, Treebeard and I have had some interesting discussions, and made a few plans and we have all had some much needed rest. Now we must be going on again. I hope you companions have all rested, too, and refreshed yourselves?"

"We have!" said Merry. "But our discussions began and ended in smoke. Still we feel less ill-disposed towards Saruman than we did."

"Do you indeed?" said Gandalf. "Well, I do not. I have now a last task to do before I go: I must pay Saruman a farewell visit. Dangerous, and probably useless; but it must be done. Those of you who wish may come with me- but beware! And do not jest! This is not the time for it."

Most decided to go with Gandalf, though the Riders waited outside for their lords, while everyone but Merry and Pippin went up. Haldir hung back as well, leaving Legolas to answer for their kind. After Gandalf knocked, Wormtongue answered, and was sent back for his master. Saruman's voice then came, low, musical, and enchanted. Legolas and Gandalf alone of those gathered had heard his voice before, although Haldir had heard it through Almiel, who had not been as enthralled as most who hear it. Though the spell affected everyone, Almiel seemed less effective as she saw the person behind the spell.

"Well? Why must you disturb my rest? Will you give me no peace at all by night or day?" Saruman asked, sounding aggrieved.

"Like and yet unlike." Gimli muttered, observing the differences between Mithrandir and Saruman. "One happens to be a little more brusque than the other." He said even more to himself, glancing at Gandalf.

"But come now, Two at least of you I know by name." And although he spoke to Gandalf and Théoden, his eyes rested on Legolas curiously and somewhat angrily as he did.

As the conversation stretched between Saruman, Théoden, and Gandalf, Haldir began to feel strange once more. Then when it seemed the conversation was drawing to a close, Saruman laughing wildly at Gandalf's demand that he hand over his staff and the Key to Orthanc, Legolas suddenly shifted and looked back, anger and concern in his eyes. Gimli looked at him confused and then Haldir also glanced over his shoulder.

"Good day!" Saruman ended, and started to leave.

"Wait." A commanding voice shot out.

Legolas looked furious, but he could do nothing as Almiel lowered her hood and walked slowly up the steps to join Gandalf. The Riders of Rohan looked at her amazed, her voice had liken power to Saruman, though hers had better purpose than that of the Maia's. The hobbits looked at her happily, though Haldir and Legolas both only watched her warily, and she ignored them completely.

Saruman had faced them more fully once more and when he saw her, he laughed. "Am I thus to be greeted by both of Thranduil's children? One of which I was never actually introduced to. Does thy father know you are here? Shall I send him a message, telling him that his daughter has wandered too far?"

"What my father knows of me is not your concern." Almiel said coolly.

"Oh?" Saruman asked. Then he cocked his head. "Your presence is familiar beyond the time I once saw you." He trailed off and stared at her for a long while. Almiel said nothing. "Yes... I knew it could not have been Galadriel. She is powerful yes, but her power could not slip past my notice. Is it you who wield the last of the Rings? Does thy father entrust you that far? To do what he cannot?"