Chapter 50

c.2851 TA

The air in Mirkwood was tense as Saruman got closer. For some reason, the closer he got the more the air felt like it weighed. He arrived at the palace only to find the gates firmly shut in his way. "Who requests entrance to the Palace of the Elvenking?" A voice called out. Saruman pushed his anger down, surely the Elves, even these rustic ones, recognized an Istarí when they saw one.

"I am the highest of my order. I need to see your King." Saruman said.

"Does he know of your coming?"

"Does he ever know of Gandalf's coming when he comes?"

"It is not my place to know such things." The Elf replied. There was silence for a few moments before he spoke again. "The King will allow you to enter." Saruman pushed down his anger, knowing he would have to keep his head, and so doing entered into the Palace gate. He saw not a single Elf but figured they were watching him closely. For some reason, Thranduil had never trusted him like the others all had. Even so, Saruman had the power of his voice, and it would as surely as ever get Thranduil to have a slip of the tongue about which of his people had said it was Sauron that resided in Dol Guldur.

The doors to the Palace opened silently before him and so did the doors to the throne room. There Thranduil sat upon his throne, his autumn crown gracing his head, and his demeanor quite cold and looked true to reputation. His eyes glittered. On either side of him, the Prince and Princess sat on smaller thrones, circlets sparkling in their hair. Although their gazes were not as cold as their father's, neither were they all that soft. When Saruman met the Princess' gaze, he was surprised to see some sort of light shining out of her eyes, but it did not soften her expression.

Thranduil did not speak when Saruman reached the base of the throne, but rather remained silent, staring the Wizard down with his deep blue eyes. Saruman looked around. "Will you not greet me?" Saruman asked sardonically. Thranduil's eyes narrowed, but he remained silent. "I am here to seek a private audience with you, King of Mirkwood." Thranduil removed his gaze from the Wizard and looked at his guards that were in the room.

He motioned once and everyone but the Prince and Princess left the room. Saruman glanced at the two of them before returning his gaze to the King. "Do you not have a private study to which we can retire?" The Elvenking sat perhaps straighter than possible on his throne.

"You may speak whatever silver tongued words you have come to say here. There is no one else to hear them."

"There are things I must say that require the uttermost secrecy."

"My heirs will hear what you have to say whether you say it in front of them or not. They will not be dismissed." Saruman's eyes began narrowing now.

"What have I ever done to misplace your trust? I am the head of the White Council. I speak for the Council when I speak. Trust me as they do." Thranduil remained quiet.

At least Ada is not purposely insulting him yet.

Indeed. Legolas answered his sister. What do you feel from him?

I am not sure yet. Almiel answered him.

However, when Saruman began speaking gilded words of trust and mistrust, Almiel began to see through the webs. Ada, she warned, you were right not to trust him. He is trying to persuade you with gilded words.

What does he fear?

Would you use it against him? She asked. She felt Thranduil's grudging acknowledgment that he probably would. However, Almiel simply laughed. Perhaps though, it is best if you do know. Right now he fears you will not give him the answers he seeks. However, he feels confident in his power to persuade you to give him such answers. What he seeks I cannot tell, but if you play along for long enough you might find out on your own.