Chapter 20

c.2065 TA

"Almiel," Haldir said softly. Almiel's eyes blinked once before she focused them onto his. She looked confused for a minute as she stared at him. Then tears formed in her eyes and she began crying.

My mother, it's all my fault… I could have saved you. The pain… oh the pain… the hurt, the fear… mother… I can't… mother, mother!

She was sitting up by now and trying rather hard to jump out of bed and run until she actually found her mother. Haldir held her back rather easily and pushed her up against the headboard to keep her still. Shhh… calm thyself child.

How can I? Dead! She's dead… my fault! My… She looked at Haldir through her tear weary eyes and found his were quite compassionate. What have I done? He smiled gently.

"You have done more than you know sweet child. Sacrifices for most are not easily done, but you seem to give more than you carry. You have been gifted by the Valar, perhaps even by Eru himself; that is not something easily squandered."

"Then why couldn't I…"

"You also still have much to learn of your gift. Your father tried quite hard to pull you off of your mother. Elrond is a very experienced healer. If he could not save your mother, no one could."

"He has not the gifts I do! I could have…"

"He may not have your gifts but he has such that you don't." He took her arm gently and rubbed it to ease her tenseness which had increased tenfold. "He has the wisdom of many years behind him. He has lived longer than you have and has experienced more than you have. So has your father and brother. And they knew when to let go. That is something you still have to learn. One of the many things you still have to learn."

Almiel looked at him confused. He laughed gently. "It is true you have great power. You are a blessed child as your name implies. But you are young and have not the strength to combat poison of the enemy. But there is one thing you need to learn. You need to learn to let go."

"But!"

"No Almiel, listen to me. If I could not have come, or if I did not have the bond with you that I do, you would have gone with your mother. You would have died trying to save her. Think of how many would have been hurt by that- your father and brother no less. And as for your people, how many of them would have been prepared to lose both Queen and Princess?" Almiel hung her head slightly.

"I just wanted to help!" She said, tears beginning to fall once more.

"We know, we all know that. It is therein that your problem lies. You have lived so far in a time when your power was sufficient to allow you a mostly normal life, but yet giving those around you a more joyous and peaceful life. Take away something from your encounter with the Spider. There will be times when your power is not enough. There will be those, like the Spider, who do not wish to be turned." He sensed he was hitting a little closer to home. "The Nazgul you encountered, what fear came off of him?"

"It… it was unlike any other… it was… I know not how to describe it."

"Then perhaps I can. The Nazgul is one who would scorn your gift, your ability. You are the one thing it fears. It fears no enemy, and even though water and fire will turn it back, it has too much of a draw from its own ring to be set back to entirely much. No, it fears the return of light to its life, for that light will destroy it. That's why you caused it pain. It lives, thrives, eats, drinks the fear and pain of others. The absence and replace of that fear was its pain. It is those that you must spare your power on. As for your mother, your father knew when it was time to let go for even if she lived she would never have been the same. She would have sailed and found herself in Valinor soon enough anyway. When he saw you draining your life force for your mother he also knew he could not lose both of you. You must learn this, you must learn to let go."

Almiel's lip quivered for a second before she launched herself onto Haldir, sobbing into his chest. She is finally more akin to a normal child. He thought.

Legolas, she is recovering. I think she might have at least learned the concept.

Can we see her?

Hmmm, she has not sensed you yet, I think her powers are still dampened so that is a yes.

Are you able to do such?

Possibly… I'm still not quite sure if it's me or the wine.

Not funny, or so quotes my father though I agree. Legolas and Thranduil opened the door quietly and walked over to Almiel. She looked up from Haldir and seemingly forgot him and launched herself onto her father. Thranduil looked caught off guard but he held her nonetheless and whispered encouragingly to her. Maybe I'm not useless as a father to her after all, for once she's actually a child.

Now, now the family could heal, together.

*

"How could you fail a task so simple?" The Necromancer shouted. The Witch-King shuddered slightly.

"I tried, but for some reason the magic given to me had no affect after a while. They all woke up before I could do anything. I did not fail completely. The Queen is dead."

"Yes… so I heard. A good thing too, for your sake. You must never fail me again."

"No Master. Shall I return to Mirkwood and finish the job?"

"No… not now, for now we wait, let them think we are gone. There is no need to speed things up yet."

"Yes, Master." He did not mention the Princess, he was too confused by her anyway. He figured she had miraculously avoided everything he had tampered, for whatever reason, and she had not been scared of him because she probably did not know any better. She was too young. Either way, he knew he would keep his mouth shut.

For now.