Chapter 107

April 3019 TA

Galadriel and Celeborn led their army through the southern part of Mirkwood trying to reach Dol Guldur. They realized Thranduil's people would need aid in destroying the old fortress, and Galadriel's magic would be instrumental. However, as they entered the woods, the forest seemed to have been awoken and enraged. The Orcs they were pursuing seemed to pause, rethinking their course of retreat. They did not have much of a choice and so continued on their course. It was April 1st when they neared the tower.

Suddenly the forest went silent and both the Orcs and Lórien's army paused. Then an Orc screeched as it was lifted into the air by a tree. All looked up at it and it was hidden for a minute before its body fell to the forest floor without a head. There was silence for a moment before the Orcs snarled. Their snarls, however, were answered by flaming arrows. Then there were snarls of less evil beasts and panthers and wolves exploded out of the forest and attacked the Orcs. Lórien still paused and then watched as Elves appeared out of the forest, dangerous and feral, and destroyed the Orcs efficiently and as quickly as possible.

Lórien quickly rejoined the battle, taking out the Orcs from behind.

The Orcs were destroyed rather quickly and soon Galadriel and Celeborn came upon Ortherion. "Where is your King?" Celeborn asked. "I thought he would be leading the charge."

Ortherion smiled wryly. "He did, he is now elsewhere conducting business he deemed of such importance that he decided not to wait for anyone else."

"He is in Dol Guldur isn't he?" Celeborn asked, eyeing the tower warily.

"As a matter of fact he is." Ortherion said casually as he swiped off the head of an Orc that came too close.

"I should go as well." Galadriel said and started to move that way. Until, that is, there was a shake and then what seemed like an explosion coming from the tower itself.

*

The Royal family had not been idle when they had first constructed this tower as well. A discreet passageway had been built into the tower leading from the much smaller Royal Wing that could only be opened by Thranduil or another of his bloodline at need. It was still working, or so it seemed at least, and Thranduil had followed it into the old fortress.

He encountered no Orcs this far above ground, most of them would be in the lower levels. Once he did start encountering Orcs, he killed them all without care, bloodily making his way down into the depths of the tower. He searched every room and hallway on the way down taking his time, letting it be known he was there.

It took the majority of time to do this. If he would have known it, it was little under three days since he had entered it. Power still threatened to overwhelm him if he did not release it soon, but control had been drilled into him since he had discovered something was different with him.

The Orcs were waiting for him. Once his presence had been known all had been called down to where they knew he would end up. It had been inevitable. When he appeared he silently drew his second sword and all of the Orcs hardened their gaze and snarled.

There was a pause, and then all erupted into chaos. Thranduil by himself was a storm of fury that destroyed all who dared get within his reach. It might have been chaos on the Orcs part, but Thranduil himself was strangely calm as his swords twirled around him. Finally, with black blood dripping off his swords, he approached the one who had been left in command of Dol Guldur.

"Please, mercy! Mercy!" The dark Edain pleaded. He trembled before the Elvenking. "Here, you have won control, my Master is gone! Leave me my life." The man scrambled back, quite terrified at the Elf before him.