Chapter 96

March 3-4 3019 TA

The rain poured upon them as the battle started. Conflicted emotions raged inside each of them, but all remained calm. To the Men, the Elves appeared stoic and battle ready. The Elves were intimidating to even the experienced knights, but to the children they were awe-inspiring. The Elves, however, remained unaware of this as they stared into the ranks of Uruks.

Legolas, now much calmer than before, stood beside Gimli waiting to let loose his entire arsenal. "Come on, what's happening? Can you see anything?" Gimli complained.

"Would you like me to describe it to you?" Legolas asked. Then he looked down at his Dwarf friend. "Or would you like me to find you a box?"

Gimli laughed. At least it was one way to relieve the tension. Beyond them Rúmil and Haldir stood side by side, silent and contemplative. Rúmil kept a close eye on his brother as much as on the plain below them. Haldir was far too stoic, and far too much like he had been for much of Rúmil's childhood. Galadriel had told him something else. Yes, Haldir had told him the truth. Galadriel never spoke in words so simple as, "You will die in the Battle." Still... she had told him something.

The Uruks began banging their spears and chanting. The tension in the air was palpable. The Men already had their bows pulled back, arrows aimed and ready. Aragorn frowned at that, the Men would wear their arms out before it began. He almost called to them, but that might do worse. Instead he let Théoden direct them as he will. The Elves kept calm, not yet putting an arrow to their bow.

Then a man lost his grip.

The arrow flew at an Orc on the front lines and skewered the Uruk. He fell over and died. Everyone froze, waiting to see what the Uruks did. The Uruks were enraged. They flew toward the fortress and the Elves followed Aragorn's instructions to prepare to fire.

Haldir heard Legolas' instructions for where to fire and they let loose their first arrows. Haldir fired arrow after arrow until the Uruks crawled up the ladders and Aragorn called for them to use their swords. He drew his own, putting his bow on his back. He winced as he heard the first cries of his kinsmen falling. Beside him Rúmil put his back to him. "They climb fast."

"Knock down their ladders!" Haldir said, both to his brother and to the Elves around him. Several ladders fell, but more kept coming.

"It was worth a shot." Rúmil said.

Haldir knocked the head off one Uruk. "Well, perhaps you should use your sword."

"I am. The princeling isn't."

Haldir glanced up once to see Legolas still fighting with a bow. "He doesn't have one."

"Why not?"

"He fights with long knives." Haldir said before lunging forward to kill the Uruk in front of him. He turned, kicked down a ladder, and turned back to be at his brother's back.

"Nice."

An arrow from their own whizzed between their heads and shot an Uruk coming at them from the side. I am glad to know you pay attention. Orophin's voice came.

Haldir might have rolled his eyes if he was not trying to actually pay attention. Leave us be. He told his other brother.

"He's going to get us killed." Rúmil commented.

"Probably." Haldir agreed and blocked an Uruk's blade. He actually wasn't sure it was a blade, but it would slice through him easily enough. He took his own sword and drove it through the Uruk's chest. It fell and he turned to fight off another one.

The battle continued.

The night stretched longer and longer as the Uruks continued their siege. One Uruk would fall to be replaced by five or ten more. Rúmil and Haldir both started to tire, but Elves were hardy enough to keep going. After all, he had faced Thranduil once. These Uruks did not have his skill. They kept going.