Chapter 62

c.2941 TA

After Bilbo left, Gandalf made himself verbally known to Thranduil and Bard. "You have impeccable timing as always, Mithrandir." Thranduil said. Gandalf met his gaze and nodded, and found it one of the hardest things he had ever done in his life this far.

"Well, I had been traveling in the Company of Thorin for a while and knew where they were headed. So after my business was done, I travelled this way hoping to brave the storm I felt might be brewing."

"And where were you before?" Thranduil asked.

"I had business with the White Council." Thranduil narrowed his eyes and Gandalf had trouble meeting his gaze once more. She said she was taking the blame. He reminded himself hoping it remained true.

"I hope to know what your business is later as I also hope it concerns the border of my realm." Thranduil said in Elvish so that Bard could not understand. Gandalf nodded once and then turned to Bard.

"Well, as it seems, dear Master Baggins has certainly done what most would not have, and there is a Dwarf army on our heels. I suggest we come up with a plan." Gandalf said.

"By all means," Bard began, "I am all ears."

"Good," Gandalf says, "this is what we will do."

*

The next day the Elvenking, Bard, Mithrandir, and a contingent of twenty warriors with them. The plan had been to talk to the Dwarves before their army arrived, and so far it was succeeding. Thorin was as thick headed as ever and cursed Bilbo and Gandalf and the Elves and now even the Men. He let them seethe back to their tents where they decided to re-plan. Erebor was under siege and there was an army on their way.

It was a couple days later when the Dwarven army arrived. Deciding it would be wise, one small group of Dwarves, including Dain, were escorted to a no man's land and there the same group that had gone up to the mountain before were awaiting the Dwarves.

"Long will I tarry, ere I start a war for gold." Thranduil commented to Bard when he saw the Dwarves approaching.

"You may not have a choice anymore." Bard replied. Gandalf was slightly hidden from view.

"It is our mountain!" Dain ended up yelling at everyone else. "We will inhabit it and give out its riches as we choose!"

"We have tarried hard to rebuild our cities which the dragon destroyed." Bard said. "We only wish for our fair share, and then we will leave."

"Then what of the Elves? They deserve no part in this!"

"The treasure I came to find is not here." Thranduil commented. Gandalf's heart sunk. "As it is, I am allied with Bard and I will stay with him until he receives what is his due. If there is reward in seeking to help him rebuild his town, then that must be your decision." Most everyone appeared surprised at his reply, and only Legolas knew just how desperately his father wished to know what happened to his daughter… well… besides his daughter.

"And what treasure were you hoping to find?" Dain asked scornfully. "What treasure is worth so much that a king would bring his army to find? Perhaps the whole of Erebor itself?"

Thranduil's eyes were quite dangerous by now. Bard was looking angry himself, Legolas was fingering his bow wondering how bad it would be if he should accidentally shoot Dain, and Gandalf tried to shrink into the crowd some.

"Does it matter?" Bard asked. "Either way, convince your kinsman to give up their gold, or find your way eternally blocked by two armies."

"They won't be blocking anything if they're all dead." Dain said and looked about to signal for the rest of his army when a cold, crisp voice interrupted them all.