Chapter 11

c. 2060

Legolas panicked the next day when he went into Almiel's room and she was missing. Father sent her here so she would not get hurt. He thought. Haldir came in the room.

Peace, friend, if she was really in trouble the room would not look as if nothing happened. Also… an intruder would not have made the bed. He ended almost teasingly and pointed at the perfectly made bed. Legolas sighed exasperated.

Well then Mr. High and Mighty, why don't you use your new found powers and find my sister?

I can't. I don't know how they work. Surely you have some bond with her since you're, oh I don't know, her brother.

Legolas eyed Haldir darkly and then looked out the window, his eyes now unfocused. He felt her near by, she was not that far. She was close enough to him that he could feel her general emotions. She seemed very happy. Almiel?

Yes?

Where are you? There was a pause.

Well Elven Prince, you might want to get a move on. It's the ninth hour of the day and you usually are up with the sun.

Legolas sent her a humph to which she giggled. Will you just tell me where you are?

No, you must find me! Legolas broke the connection and muttered complaints about stubborn princesses under his breath.

"Now, as a royal Prince, heir to the throne, you shouldn't be speaking like thus." Haldir teased. Legolas shot him another dark look and made his way out of the house. Haldir laughed as he followed. Stepping outside they both drew in deep breaths, here where the air was filled with purity and fragrance. Legolas had a smile on his face and with the light on his face and the circlet in his hair, he truly looked every bit the Prince he was. Then his eyes scanned the gardens and he saw a young girl sitting with her feet in the water surrounded by winged creatures of all types. My word, she even calls the birds to her. Legolas thought.

Haldir followed his line of vision and too saw the young child. All of a sudden it was like he was sitting next to her.

"My, my sweet dove, I would not be surprised if your lady is not entranced with your song."

The dove cooed to her, slightly ruffling his feathers. Another bird, this one blue, landed on her outstretched hand. It let off a trill of song and she laughed. "I am not!" She said. The bird trilled again and she giggled. "Oh fine, if you insist." A cardinal landed in front of her. She cocked her head as it spoke and she glanced over to where her brother and protector were watching. She smiled brilliantly, her eyes twinkling. "Would you like to get them for me?" She asked the cardinal. It took off with a burst of feathers flying towards the two Elves searching for a young princess.

Haldir shook himself and watched the bird come closer. Legolas, by some instinct, held out his hand and the bird landed on it. He waited and it started speaking in the sing song way that birds speak. Legolas laughed lightly as it spoke, and after Haldir got over what had happened, he smiled widely as well. Legolas placed the bird on his shoulder and walked lightly over to his sister.

"Why does the young Princess now request our presence?" Almiel smiled and as she did any worries from the night before faded completely from both of their minds.

"Well, now that the morning is halfway over, I thought it would be nice for some company." Her sweet voice trilled. The cardinal and dove lilted and both men stared incredulously for the birds seemed to be laughing at them. Haldir then laughed along.

"Well, here's something new. The daughter of Thranduil can make the birds laugh as the youngest gets the better of the eldest." Legolas turned his blue eyes on his sister who had her shy puppy dog eyes on him, screaming for innocence. Finally he smiled and laughed.

"I certainly don't think the King knew what he was getting into or else he never would have agreed." Legolas said teasingly and sat down next to her.

"You don't mean that." Almiel said quite contentedly. "You would miss me too much." Legolas smiled and put his arm around her shoulders. He leaned in and kissed her forehead.

"Yes, I would." Haldir sat down on the other side of her.

"Yes, you should have seen how much he panicked when he did not find you in your room." Almiel looked at Haldir and then back at Legolas and grinned.

"Is this true?" Legolas raised an eyebrow.

"Panicked? No, I was, ah, caught off guard." Haldir laughed again.

"Oh always the trained diplomat are you not? Caught off guard means panicked in fancy Prince language." Almiel giggled when her brother pouted. Haldir smiled. Unfortunately for Legolas, in the presence of his sister he could not help but let his mouth curve upward.

"I just did not want my father, the King of Mirkwood, to have to hear from me that I was too busy sleeping to protect my sister, his 'blessed child'." Haldir actually laughed at that.

"Well then I do not really blame you. You would have to be a rogue forevermore just to avoid his wrath." Legolas smiled.

"My point exactly, but I would drag you with me." Almiel let out a sigh.

"It doesn't matter because nothing will happen to me anyway. This is a safe place."

"Indeed," came a voice from behind them. Legolas turned to see the twins watching the trio with interest. "Does the Prince not also agree?"

"I do, anyplace guarded by Elven magic is sure to be safe." The twins grinned.

A look of mischievousness warned Legolas so he was able to pull Almiel out of the way when both twins jumped in the water, splashing everything within a large portion of the garden. Legolas managed to shield Almiel from most of it, but Haldir was caught in the full blast of it.

"You sure have a way with foreign dignitaries, don't you?" Haldir said sarcastically. The twins came up with identical smiles.

"Yes, we do. It's our way of making sure they know who's in charge here."

Legolas grimaced. "You're just lucky you were not raised by my father. You never would have made it."

Elladan and Elrohir exchanged a look and then smiled at them. "So that's why you are always so uptight."

The day ended with all five of them dripping wet and not in the least uptight at all.