Chapter 28

c.2510 TA

Haldir took Almiel's arm almost immediately once they were out of sight and led her into a private garden. "What's wrong?" He asked softly, searching her eyes as he did so.

Almiel sighed. "Nothing… at first." She sighed again as if unsure herself and looked into the sky.

Haldir frowned. "Is it Elrohir?" Almiel looked at him sadly, then she slowly nodded. "Why?" She hesitated, and then she decided to speak her suspicion.

"This is all speculation, I am not sure yet. But I think… It started when his mother first came back… I touched him once to comfort him. He has not stopped wanting to feel that since. I don't have that strong of a bond with him yet. Legolas was way better friends with him than I ever was. They were almost like brothers. I've hardly known him at all. Now… he's taking the energy usually projected to everyone and keeping it for himself. Actually… now that I remember it started before. He asked me why he could feel warmth coming from me. I asked Elrond to tell his sons, but he never did." Haldir clenched his fist partially.

"Would you like me to tell him off?" Almiel laughed softly.

"No… no, he is leaving soon enough. He and his brother are going to find some Orcs to satisfy their anger over their mother. After which I shall hopefully be back in Mirkwood with my father who would not let anyone near me anyway." This time Haldir laughed.

"Has anyone even tried to court you with your father over your shoulder?" Almiel smiled.

"There was one unfortunate soldier who did. He even asked my father and everything. My father told him he could escort me to a feast."

"So it did work?"

"No, my father did not tell me and told my brother to stay close to me. Somewhere between my father's stares and my brother's the poor man never even got within five feet of me. I had felt something strange, but did not know until afterward when one of our servants told me." Haldir laughed again.

"Well, I have a feeling your father was testing his courage."

"Perhaps," Almiel said. "In any case no one else has tried yet."

"What if Elrohir does?" Haldir asked.

"I don't know. I doubt under my father's eye he would be able to do much. Nor under yours or my brothers." Haldir smiled.

"True, come, let us ready ourselves for the feast."

*

The feast was indeed somber. There were only mourning songs sung and everything was above formal. The few dances there were were all slow dances which Almiel decided to boycott altogether.

Haldir indeed kept a close eye on Elrohir the entire time. Elrohir did not fail to notice this either. Elladan glanced constantly between the three of them though Arwen seemed oblivious.

When the feast was over, everyone left save Galadriel's grandchildren, Almiel, and Haldir. Galadriel looked at each of them before beginning. "You are all welcome for as long as need be, but tell me, what were your plans from here?"

Arwen smiled sadly, "I shall stay until I feel a need to return home." Galadriel nodded.

Elladan then spoke, "My brother and I are leaving as soon as we are ready, tomorrow or the next day." Elrohir remained quiet.

"To find the Rangers?"

"Yes Grandmother." Elladan said.

"And you Princess?" Almiel bowed her head.

"I shall remain until my father calls for me." She said. Or until I force him to let me come home.

Elrohir glanced at her and then Haldir. Then he sighed. "I am weary grandmother, I bade you all good night." He got up and left. His brother frowned and then dismissed himself. It was not too much later when the other three did as well.