Chapter 30

c. 2510

Almiel woke from her trance the next day joyful. Arwen smiled when she first caught a glimpse of the Princess wandering among the trees, singing to the birds, and being followed by a trail of wildlife that had not seen such as herself before. Elrohir stood beside his sister watching the Princess as well.

"How does she do that?" Elrohir asked.

"Same as she did to you apparently." Arwen commented. Elrohir glanced at her seemingly confused. "Oh, don't pretend to me, I know you well enough to see what is going on in your head." Elrohir reddened slightly.

"Perhaps, there's just something about her." Arwen nodded in agreement.

"Do you know she is leaving tomorrow?" Elrohir started and stared at Arwen in shock.

"No! She cannot be." Arwen sighed.

"She is, I heard Haldir speak to grandmother about it. She is leaving to return home."

"Her father sent for her?" 'Delightful...' she avoided telling me she was returning home. But she let Haldir read the letter. Elrohir paused in his thoughts before remembering the words she had used. "My father was hesitant about me returning."

"That is what it sounded like."

"How... I suppose Haldir is escorting her?"

Arwen glanced at him raising an eyebrow. "I am sure he is. Grandma usually sends him or her father sends for Haldir. He's the only one the king trusts from Lórien. It sounded like they wanted to keep her departure quiet. Supposedly in case someone were to try to attack her like they attacked our mother."

"She would just leave?" Arwen nodded. "In that case..." Elrohir broke off and then smiled. "Her safety is concerning. I must accompany her as well." He turned and then climbed down the tree and ran off toward the young Princess. For some reason, it left Arwen with a sense of foreboding.

*

Almiel was sitting on the rock in the clearing humming still to the birds when Elrohir found her. "What's this about trying to run off without saying anything?" Elrohir asked her. If he would have known better, he would think he saw her pale. In any case, she stopped humming and simply sighed.

"It was for my safety, on my father's orders." She said softly.

"Aye, but that does not mean you could not have told me. Now that I know, I can escort you as well, to keep you safe." Almiel paled on the inside.

"I'm sure that won't be necessary. Haldir would never let me get hurt."

"Nay, he would not. But two sets of eyes are better than one."

"Tis true, but I have my own set of eyes. Should not you stay here? In case your brother were to send for you?" Elrohir crouched down in front of her.

"Perhaps, but I will be back soon enough. It is not a far journey. Besides, your safety is not the only reason I have for going."

"Than what is?"

Elrohir looked at her strangely. Haldir... Almiel thought, but was unsure he could hear her. He was still rather far away. "Surely you know." He took her hand. "You probably do not feel the same for me at the moment, but surely in time... I love you Almiel." At that moment their bond, already stretched wider than it should have been, was ripped open with vivacity and energy gushed from her into him. He felt strangely light hearted and passionate in all the same moment. Almiel gasped for breath, her head spinning. She took her hand away and stood walking to the other side of the clearing. She took shaky breaths. Haldir! She screamed louder.