Chapter 68

2951 TA

It should have been a normal day in the Greenwood. Lately, it had seemed so much livelier and returned to its old self than it had been in millennia. Thranduil had his own suspicions that it simply could not last. It was too good to be true. The fact that darkness no longer permeated his kingdom with audacity was simply unbelievable by this point.

Thranduil had therefore known it would return at some point. He had had hopes it would stay away for longer than it did, but as seemed usual his hopes were crushed on this particular point. Only ten years after they had finally been liberated from the Necromancer's poison, it returned.

Thranduil had fortunately been alone. He carried the oak staff with him. The staff had been given by the forest to the Royal family to join the people and the forest together in a much more intimate community than most land had with those who lived on it. The gift had meant sacrifice on both sides, but overall it was a connection worth more than the sacrifice. Thranduil had been born with a strange connection with nature anyway, and the staff only increased it. It was similar to the Silvan elves own ability to speak with the trees, only this was a connection with more than just the trees but with the forest and all it contained.

Therefore, as soon as the forest felt the evil returned, Thranduil felt it too. He almost doubled over in surprise. It came quickly, without warning, and powerfully. Thranduil stood still in complete surprise and some horror for a moment before it finally hit him more fully. He leaned against the wall of the palace, chest heaving and heart beating quicker than normal.

The forest was screaming at him in panic. They pulled him in multiple directions and for a second he lost his own identity amidst all of theirs. Then he finally gained control of his own mind and started focusing on what was the most concerning. All of the trees that had begun healing, all that had once been within reach of Dol Guldur but had been relieved at its abandonment had been stolen once more. The poison had gone out, taking all it could previously.

Thranduil noted it had not been able to go quite as far just yet, but still too far it went. He finally straightened himself and headed toward the gardens. He walked outside and there he stopped, all color draining from his face.

He slowly walked toward Legolas who was holding a dazed Princess. It looked like she might have actually passed out for a short moment. "Did she pass out?"

"I'm not sure. It was a close call. She started falling." Legolas said quietly. Then he glanced worriedly at his father. "I felt you come close too. Are you alright?"

"I'm fine. The forest started panicking, nothing more."

"Why? What's going on?"

"I think Dol Guldur has been reopened." Thranduil said sighing. Almiel finally recovered, looking much more coherent and though she still leaned against her brother she was now standing partially on her own.

"Yes…" She said weakly. "It has."

Thranduil watched her with concern for a long moment. "I could also feel that much that had begun healing is now poisoned once more. We are no better than we were a decade ago."

Legolas looked worried. Almiel was quiet, and her face drained of emotion for the time being. Thranduil moved and took her brothers spot. She leaned against him willingly this time. Legolas sighed and looked out. "Shall I warn the army?"

"I am sure those who speak to the trees have already felt it. The forest was not quiet." Thranduil said. "But they probably do not know why the trees panicked."Once I find a way to convince your sister to get in her bed we will call a War Council.

Ah, good point. Perhaps we could drug her?

It worries me that you thought of that option first. Thranduil said dryly but glanced down at his daughter who still looked far too pale. "Come, I know one way to clear your mind. After that, when our minds are far more at ease, we shall talk. I do not think that we are in danger at this second." He turned and guided Almiel out of the garden. He heard a mild protest but he ignored it and so Almiel fell silent. Once they were inside and seated, Legolas came into the room with three goblets.