Chapter 53

c. 2941 TA

Six years after Legolas has encountered Estel...

A White Council was about to take place again. Elrond was hoping to convince the Council that Dol Guldur needed to be emptied. After hearing Legolas ten years ago, he knew it would be important for them to act soon. It was already later than the Elvenking was probably expecting. Mithrandir was also expected quite soon. Why he was delayed, Elrond himself had no idea.

It was dark when Elrond heard a song in the forest.

O! What are you doing,

And where are you going?

Your ponies need shoeing!

The river is flowing!

O! tra-la-la-lally

Here down in the valley!

The song continued, but Elrond was smiling now. When the song ended with, "ha! ha!" He heard another begin, as well as much laughter. He shook his head as the frivolity continued until at last Mithrandir bade them "Good-night."

"I see you brought friends." Elrond said once Mithrandir entered the house. Dinner was awaiting them and the thirteen Dwarves and one hungry Hobbit eyed the food with desire.

"Why shouldn't I?" Mithrandir asked. Elrond smiled and opened his arms.

"You are all welcome here. Eat while you may." The Dwarves and Hobbit bowed and quickly seated themselves digging in quite merrily.

"You are taking them to Erebor?" Elrond later asked Gandalf more privately.

"Yes," Gandalf answered. "The dragon must die before he has a chance to become friends with Smaug."

"Perhaps," Elrond agreed, his voice a little lower. "Have you heard the pleas of the forest? Legolas came here not ten years ago."

"Yes," Mithrandir said quietly, "I fear I failed Thranduil, but Saruman's words sounded so wise. And we were all fools, to think we could continue to let them live in such darkness."

"We all make mistakes do we not?" Both Elrond and Gandalf jumped slightly as Saruman's voice came from the shadows. He walked up to them. "Well now, it is not often one can surprise an Elf Lord in his home. I should be proud."

Elrond recovered quickly. "I am sorry. I was not expecting you until later. Will you listen to their pleas now?"

"Yes," Saruman said nodding, "I have seen my error. It is indeed time for the Dark Lord to remember he has not regained so much strength that we are not better. He needs to be removed and we are the only ones fit to do so."

"When shall we go then?" Mithrandir asked, "I am on a quest that needs seeing through."

"You are heading that way, are you not? Either way you will have to traverse Mirkwood." Elrond asked Gandalf.

"We are, when I come to the border of Mirkwood I shall let you know, and together all of us will drive him from his lair."

"Not so fast," Saruman said, "How are we to get there as quickly as we will be needed? You may be traveling there, but how are we to know when you arrive?"

"Await my message in Lórien. It is not far, and the Lady will be there as well. She might even be able to predict the time before I am able to leave."

"Wise plan," Elrond said. "We shall do as you say then."

Saruman nodded. "Yes, yes we shall."

*