Chapter 12

c. 2060

Elrond summoned the three guests to his office again the next day. "I have good news. Mithrandir is due to arrive at any moment. Glorfindel never even had to leave. I have a feeling he knew he needed to be here."

"That is good news indeed." Legolas said.

Elrond saw that, curiously, the young elleth still appeared very shy in his presence. Maybe it is a result of her gift. He thought. Then again maybe she's just actually shy. Rather different than her brother though, he has never been shy.

"If I may, when will we leave?" Haldir asked.

"Tomorrow," Legolas? Elrond asked the young elf in his mind.

Yes?

When you get there, tell the Lord and Lady to include their daughter in the meeting whenever you speak to them. Tell them, but speak to no one else. Best keep it as quiet as possible.

Yes My Lord.

"In the meantime, enjoy your last day here among us." The three of them inclined their heads to him and started to walk away. Almiel seemed to hesitate. Legolas looked at her questioningly. Then she seemed to change her mind and grabbed her brother's hand as they walked out the door. However she spoke to Elrond in his mind.

Do not fret, My Lord, the homes of the Elves will not fall until the rest of Ennor will. And Men are yet strong, not weak like you suppose.

Elrond repressed a shiver as she left the room. Such powerful words, from such a young and seemingly innocent child.

*

Almiel was the first to notice him, even though she had never seen him before. She tugged on Legolas' sleeve and when he looked at her she pointed. Legolas smiled when he saw the man.

"Mithrandir," he called. The man also called Gandalf the Grey turned to him and smiled.

"Prince," he said slightly inclining his head. Legolas in turn inclined his head as well while Haldir bowed a little deeper. Almiel hid behind her brother. "Is there not also a Princess here?" Mithrandir asked.

"You always do seem to know everything." Legolas said and then smiled again. "However the Princess seems to have acquired a shyness never to be broken no matter how many times we introduce her to someone. She also has an annoying habit of hiding behind my leg."

"So very unlike yourself I see."

Haldir grinned. "Exactly what I was thinking."

Legolas sighed. "I think it is more because my father was more lax on her diplomatic training than my own since she will not be running a kingdom in the event of his departure. And he thinks it's cute." He added with more exasperation.

"Whatever you wish to think." Haldir said teasingly. Legolas, ever the diplomat, simply let it bounce off of him, his face remaining the same.

"So tell me young Prince what brings you here." Mithrandir said breaking the chain of teasing.

"My father wished for Almiel to start to see the world." Legolas answered casually.

Mithrandir probably had guessed some of the hidden meaning but he called no attention to it. "A very beautiful part of the world she is seeing then."

"Yes, and we go to Lothlórien tomorrow."

"Ah yes, the young Almiel will enjoy that I am sure."

"Yes, if she comes out from behind my leg to see it." Mithrandir tilted his head slightly.

"Why don't you come out young one?" He asked. A small blonde head with vivid green eyes peeked around Legolas' waist. A sheepish grin covered her face. "Come child." He said to her. Legolas knelt down and pushed her forward. She stumbled slightly but recovered and ended up standing in front of the Wizard.