Chapter 23

c. 2480 TA

It was not long before the scouts reported in that Haldir would be arriving soon. Almiel seemed slightly saddened by the news, mostly because it meant she would be leaving just as soon. There was also a strangeness to the coming arrival since they had not seen each other since the Queen had died either. On Haldir's end, he was feeling much the same hesitance as to what the condition of the Palace would actually be, especially as he felt the darkness as he rode through the forest.

In fact, as he neared the Palace he slowed, caught off guard by the depth of that darkness so close to the Palace. The natural Elven virtue of the area should have kept it away. Once he reached the Old Forest Road, the darkness did lessen but it still made for a chilling ride. No wonder the Elvenking had wanted to get his daughter out of there.

Taenron, the Captain of the Guard, met him as he entered the Gate. "You have been expected." He said smiling.

Haldir smiled back, they had been friends back when Haldir had visited the Palace as a child and unless some new grudge appears Elven friendships are never truly sundered. "I am not surprised."

"You have lived here too long." Taenron said, his smile widening. "You know too much of our ways."

"I do not remember it being I who decided to stay. I remember you, Legolas, and the King forcing me to stay."

Taenron laughed. "Well, I do not remember that part, but perhaps it did work that way. Come!" He said happily, "We have your room prepared."

"I think I can find my way." Haldir said.

"Yes, but I was told to escort you anyway." Taenron said. Haldir sighed.

"You never change."

Taenron only laughed.

*

Legolas found Almiel in the family garden as usual. "Haldir is here." He said.

"I know," she replied, obviously having felt him through their surprisingly strong bond.

"Why are you not moving?"

"You know why," she answered.

"I do not really want you to leave either, but it is not safe." He said sighing. "Come, you should at least show up for dinner tonight."

Almiel glanced at him, sadness in her eyes, before she finally stood. "I said I would leave, and I will. I just do not want too. I will miss my home too much."

"It is a dark home." Legolas said sadly. "You will be better off far from here."

"Maybe," Almiel answered softly. Then she took the arm he offered to her, leaning her head on his shoulder. The family had grown close, very close through the trials they suffered, and her leaving would take a toll on everyone. But King and Prince were convinced it was necessary for the time being.

They walked together through the Palace to their rooms, now side by side. He kissed her forehead as she finally let go. "It will be fine in the end." He said. "You will see." Almiel nodded slowly but said nothing as she disappeared into her room. Legolas stood there for a minute, quiet, and then walked into his own room. He would miss her, more than he wanted to admit. She had been at his side almost ceaselessly since she was a child except for when he was out on patrol. Even then they were in the same kingdom. Now she would be with Elrond while he remained with his father. A part of him wished she could stay as well, but the darkness he felt kept their decision final. Oh well, we shall just have to vanquish this darkness sooner, so she can come home.

*

Haldir appeared for dinner right on time, though he stayed in the shadows of the room, knowing the royal family would not make an appearance until a few minutes later. He leaned against the wall, hesitant about all of this. Even with the darkness he had felt, it also felt wrong to him to take her elsewhere when she belonged here. He had done it before, but then it had felt right. Now, now it felt different, but in what way he could not tell. He did know that the Princess had no desire to leave either through their bond now that they were close once more, and perhaps that was what was making him hesitant himself. Something else though told him that it was not the only reason, that it was the same instinct that had made him feel like he was about to ride for Mirkwood before, when Almiel and Legolas had left him behind in Lórien.