Chapter 100

March 6 3016 TA

Haldir and Legolas leaned against the wall waiting for everyone else. "What will we do when they come?"

"I am not sure." Haldir answered. "Avoid them is a good option if you cannot handle yourself."

"And you?" Legolas asked, his eyes lighting. "Surely you are no less angry than I?"

"Of course, I felt her dying before you did." Haldir said and then looked away. "But in this instance your father's temper is not the best one to have around enemies who should not just be allies but close friends."

"You looked ready to kill when we stepped into the throne room."

"Yes." Haldir said hesitantly.

"Then why do you act so calm now?"

"Because I have a cooler head on my shoulders than you." Haldir said. "Valar, Legolas, you know Aragorn better than I. You can see the need for a cool head more than I."

"Yes..." Legolas said. "I know the little acorn needs all the help it can get." He muttered. "But still... It is hard." He frowned and looked at Haldir. "I am surprised you do not hold more venom myself. I would." Legolas added at then end.

"Why?" Haldir asked, looking confused.

"He tried to steal what was rightfully yours." Legolas pointed out.

"Not at the time." Haldir said, eyes darkening. "And not now either."

"Yes now, even if it is not yet as you wish." Legolas said. "Valar Haldir, you need more self-confidence. But even so... Elrohir has done what you may not if Sauron succeeds."

Haldir's eyes widened as he looked at Legolas. "At this point does it matter? I know well enough what he did, but dwelling on it doesn't make me as much angry at him as much frustrated with your sister."

"Almiel is quite frustrating in many ways." Legolas said cocking his head. "But even so-."

"Don't tempt me Legolas." Haldir said. "I would rather everyone end up unharmed in this situation."

Legolas sighed as Haldir began to walk away. "Haldir-."

"Not now." Was the soft reply as he walked away.

That was rather callous.

Legolas frowned. Ada?

Who else do you think it could be?

Well you haven't deigned to speak to me before now.

You haven't on your end either.

I am not as strong as you. Legolas said. And what do you mean?

Truly Legolas? You just told a man who might soon lose his fiancé that a person he has reason to hate has done what he cannot. At least not yet. You could have just broken him.

I did not mean to hurt him.

No... but you did nonetheless. Do you think he does not endure enough pain every time he looks at Elrohir? He saw him kiss her, you did not. No, you might not have meant that when you said it, but you brought up quite a private matter because of your own anger for Elrohir.

Private? She is my sister.

She is not, however, your future spouse. You have little right to interfere in that matter. In other circumstances it might be understood, but in this matter your judgment is clouded by anger.