Chapter 83

January 13 3019 TA

They agreed to make for Moria the next morning at dawn for fear of the Wargs they could now hear. To defend themselves in the night, they had climbed to the top of a hill where broken rocks and twisted trees rested. They sat around the fire hoping the Wargs would decide against attacking them.

Sometime later, the wolves surrounded their circle, and one who seemed to be the Captain advanced. Gandalf then stood, saying the wolf would be shriveled if it advanced closer. Legolas stood, instinctively knowing it would not work, and loosed his bow just as the wolf left them. Then the packs fled. When Gandalf and Aragorn returned and said this, Legolas just looked at him. Do not bargain with wolves. He told Gandalf.

You were planning on killing it the entire time?

It worked. Legolas replied grimly.

Gandalf stalked away, returning to his place in the circle, again wondering the wisdom of bringing the Elf Prince with them. It was again awhile later and the Wargs attacked from every angle. The hobbits flung fuel on the fire while everyone else readied their weapons. Legolas' eyes flew from side to side, assessing which Wargs should be taken out. He emptied his quiver quickly, making his bow sing as fast as it was possible. Suddenly he heard Gandalf voice a spell with thunder and the fire roared. Legolas thought he might know what Gandalf was doing and he aimed his last arrow at the chieftain. As it flew it caught on fire and plunged into the wolves' heart.

They all sighed relieved as the wolves fled and sat down again. In the morning, the light revealed nothing but the arrows of Legolas lying seemingly unused on the ground. All save one that had nothing left but the tip. Legolas shook the point at Gandalf. "I hope we find wood before we enter Moria, as I would like a full quiver." Gandalf rolled his eyes.

"I think you should find wood before we enter Moria, we have a long march ahead of us. If you do not, you best stick with us and make arrows of stone!"

Legolas raised an eyebrow. "I am a Wood-Elf, not a Stone-Elf." He said and walked away to the front of the Fellowship, now intent on finding a proper stick to make an arrow out of. Frodo walked so he was in line with Gandalf.

"What is going on between you and Legolas?" He asked.

Gandalf grunted. "He has never forgiven me for kidnapping his sister."

"He has a sister? And why did you kidnap her?"

"That, dear Frodo, is a story for another day."

Frodo recognized his avoidance of the subject and dropped back. Pippin sighed when he returned. "Same old Gandalf," Pippin muttered. Ahead of them, Legolas laughed.

"Well, here we are at last!" said Gandalf. "Here the Elven-way from Hollin ended. Holly was the token of the people of that land, and they planted it here to mark the end of their domain; for the West-door was made chiefly for their use in their traffic with the Lords of Moria. Those were happier days, when there was still close friendship at times between folk of different race, even between Dwarves and Elves."

"It was not the fault of the Dwarves that the friendship waned," said Gimli.

"I have not heard it that it was the fault of the Elves," said Legolas. Gandalf properly scolded them but when he turned to the others Gimli glared at Legolas. "Well, it was not my people's fault, we had nothing to do with that war, nor of any of the Rings." Gimli looked genuinely surprised but Legolas only turned away from him then to look at the holly trees again.

He had found wood, and already recut a shaft but had yet to make an arrow out of the shaft and point. He figured he could do that when they stopped. Then he pressed himself against the rock listening beyond it. Gandalf looked at him and he pointed to the smooth section of rock. Gandalf only rolled his eyes. I knew it was there.