Chapter 104

March 18-24 3019 TA

As Legolas had said two days later they were marching toward the Black Gate, hoping beyond hope to give Frodo a chance and force Sauron's hand. The journey was filled with darkness and with some hope of a new king as well. They destroyed the works of the Orcs they came across and reclaimed their land from the hosts of evil. The heralds cried the challenge by the name of King Elessar but there was no answer. And as they drew closer the hearts of all were downcast, even the heart of Legolas.

"I told you to keep hope and now I start to feel the end weighing on myself as well. At the end of our journey lies our end, of victory or defeat, but I am starting to think that the balance of Ennor may not coincide with the fate our my sister." Legolas said darkly as they rode.

Haldir glanced at him, his words echoing the haunted memory of Almiel telling him her fate was now certain. "If I knew that it did I would not feel the weight that I do. For though our hope is slim I feel it is greater than the hope for her."

Legolas cocked his head at the quiet words. "Your words do naught to fill either of us with hope. We must have faith in Frodo and in Estel."

"Estel is hope for Men." Haldir said. "No matter which way the battle turns our time is over. So perhaps it is only the way of things that our hope is less as well."

"Our time, just a few days ago we wondered if time ever truly meant anything for us. Now I believe it does. Time brings us closer to our doom, no matter which way it lies."

"Doom to leave or doom to die." Haldir muttered. "I still feel no desire to go to Aman, and I wonder if their words that we must go to Aman truly mean anything."

"They say we will fade if we stay as the time of Men comes." Legolas said. "So therein we must pass West. But I understand what you say. Until recently I have felt the same, and I know my father will be last of all to pass West, if our small hope remains."

"I suppose we need not worry about Sailing yet." Haldir sighed. "First we must come to this end, and then decide what our end will be from there."

"Yes. I suppose we shall meet this end with all stubbornness we can, and face the next when we must." Legolas said.

That drew a grim smile out of Haldir but soon as they came closer to the gates, all traces of anything as a cause for joy were gone.

*

On the sixth day from Minas Tirith they came to the lands of the dead and Legolas could see the marshes from where he sat on his horse. Haldir saw a grave and reverent look on his face. He murmured a soft phrase in elvish and touched his hand to his heart. "My people lie in tens of thousands out there." Legolas said quietly. "And as long as memory of them lingers, so will their candles stay lit out there."

"Perhaps that is a good thing." Haldir said and Legolas looked at him incredulously. "After everything they went through it means they are still remembered. Memory is not an evil thing, it has only been tainted by the evil that grows here now."

"I would that your words were true." Legolas said quietly. "But I know the nightmares my father has suffered because of the memory of this place, those marshes in particular. And I know he felt their deaths were wasted because of Isildur's wish to keep the Ring. I know now how he feels, we would never be in this position were it otherwise."

"You do not know that. There are other, worse evils. I for one am glad that there is yet hope of defeating this one. It means that the end of all has not come yet, though it may seem it."

"I do not understand you." Legolas muttered as they once more pushed their horses forward. "One minute you look like you have already met your end and the next you are more optimistic than even I."