Chapter 17

c. 2065 TA

Thranduil walked quickly through his castle and found his chief messenger. "I need you to take the fastest horse, and go to Imladris as fast as possible. Give this to Lord Elrond and return swiftly. If you do not return within a week, your Queen might be dead." Thranduil held out a scroll to the messenger whose eyes widened, displaying both fear and dread.

"As you wish, My King." He turned to leave.

"And Caranion?"

"Yes, My King?"

"I will have horses waiting for you on your way back so you do not have to rest for their sake."

"Yes, of course Sire."

Please Elrond, have mercy on us. Thranduil thought the words his pride would never allow him to speak out loud.

*

Caranion reached Imladris in two days time, his horse working extremely hard, sweating, and frothing at the mouth. He was almost sure it was a record time that had perhaps never been done before. He only hoped his horse did not drop dead because of it. "I need to see Lord Elrond immediately."

"Of course, what of your horse?" Erestor asked looking at the state of the poor horse whose sides were rapidly expanding and contracting, and actually did look like it was about to drop dead.

"Can you please get someone to look after him?" Erestor failed to hide his surprise in his eyes. Elves hardly ever allowed anyone to look after their own horses, much less if it was in a different city than their own. It would be even more so in the state the messenger's horse was in. However, he simply inclined his head.

"You may go to his office and knock on his door. If he's available, he'll answer." Caranion inclined his head.

He knocked at the door and then tapped his foot waiting. It felt like five days even though it was hardly five seconds. "You may enter." Came Elrond's deep voice.

"My Lord," Caranion said bowing slightly. He held out the scroll to the Lord. Elrond looked slightly surprised at the lack of formality. He took the scroll while frowning.

"You are of Mirkwood?"

"Yes, Lord Elrond." Elrond opened the scroll and read it slowly.

My Lord Elrond of Imladris,

Late last night, my kingdom was invaded by a servant of the Dark Lord. I believe it was the Witch-King of Angmar, if it was not, it was a Nazgul. Somehow a spell was put on the Palace to make us all fall into an unconscious sleep. Everyone that is except for my daughter. It was a good thing to for the Nazgul invaded my bedchambers and had begun interrogating my wife. Almiel was able to wake both I and Legolas before the Nazgul could kill either of us. Almiel was also able to heal my wife of her dagger wound. It seems, however, that my wife was affected more than any of us know. Almiel feels something worse is wrong with her. If you could, you do not have to come yourself, please send a competent healer who may be able to help my wife.

Thranduil, King of Mirkwood

Elrond frowned, reading behind the lines. Thranduil was way too proud to beg for someone to come and help or to let any think Mirkwood was in too much danger. However, if he was desperate enough to call for aid in any way, there was something seriously wrong. Elrond glanced at the messenger who looked as if he had ridden recklessly for days, something Elves were generally not inclined to do.

"My Lord," the messenger started, "Elvenking Thranduil would probably not mention as much in something as non private as a scroll, but he has told me that speed is of the utmost importance. He said that if no one came back within a week… if no one came back within a week the Queen… the Queen will probably die." Elrond sighed. Oiolairë was deeply loved by her people, the evidence of which was the state of the messenger in front of him.

"Go clean up, I will ride to Mirkwood, have no fear. You may follow as you will." Caranion nodded and left. Elrond went to his chambers and quickly changed into traveling clothes. He then gathered different medicines and potions and had everything ready to leave. He had a servant take it to his horse and prepare it for departure.

"Elrohir! Elladan!" He called. His sons appeared in front of him in less than a minute.

"Ada," they both said.

"I'm leaving for Mirkwood. Something serious has occurred and my skills are needed. You two are to listen to Glorfindel and Erestor whilst I am gone and don't cause any trouble. I will be stopping in Lórien on my way back to see my wife and daughter and you are welcome to go there and await me. Farewell." His sons watched him as he left, wondering what was going on. Then they shrugged. We might as well go to Lórien. We will see sister that way.

Elrond left quickly, galloping through the wilderness to Mirkwood. Hopefully, he would make it in time.

*

It had been five days. They had stayed in a private healing ward for the first day, but when it became obvious the Palace healers could not do what they were sending for Lord Elrond for, they moved back to the Royal chambers in Thranduil's room. It was more comfortable, and this way no intruders could make the excuse they came in by accident.

Legolas watched his sister and mother sadly. Thranduil and he were both trying to deny what they saw as truth. They were losing their wife and mother to an unknown poison of the mind. And there was nothing they could do about it. Almiel, however, saw things differently. She had yet to let go of her mother in some way and had stayed curled up against her, sometimes singing, sometimes just remaining silent.

Legolas became increasingly worried as his sister slowly lost her glow. Thranduil thought the same. It was soon that all who were in his vicinity learned to keep their mouths shut and keep all formalities to the tee. Otherwise, they might get worse than they had ever deserved. Tension was at a maximum, and none dared test the King in any way, shape, or form. In any case, any trivial matter brought to the Palace was sent away and postponed by the chief servant of the Palace. More important matters were brought before his Council who then decided whether or not it was important enough to have his attention. If it was not, the case was postponed or dealt with by the Council, if it was, Thranduil would see to it but the party who brought the case was extremely careful not to snap Thranduil's last nerve. Rhavaniel sitting outside the door with teeth bared helped deter any otherwise annoying guests.

When he was with his family, Thranduil took to looking out their window into the garden below. If you cannot help us Master Elrond, then I may lose both my wife and child.