Chapter 101

March 7-13 3019 TA

The Grey Company took their leave of Edoras and came to the Door of the Dead before noon had passed. "My blood runs chill," said Gimli but all others were silent. The riders were forced to dismount and lead their horses forward, as none of the horses dared pass. The company halted, and there was not a heart among them that did not quail, unless it were the heart of Legolas, for whom the ghosts of Men have no terror.

Aragorn led they way and the strength of his will was such that all followed him. Arod, however, refused to move and stood sweating and trembling in fear. Legolas glanced at him and laid his hands on his eyes and sang softly to him, and at last Arod allowed himself to be led, and Legolas passed in so that Gimli was left alone.

"Here is a thing unheard of! An elf will go underground and a dwarf dare not!" With that he plunged in and yet he felt his feet were like lead. He felt blinded in the dark, he who had walked unafraid in many dark places in the world.

*

At long last found the bones of a mighty man, clad in mail and a gilded hauberk. Rich garments donned him, but his sword was notched and broken. Aragorn gazed at him silently for a long time, and everyone else watched warily and nervously, though Legolas looked only curious. Then Aragorn stood and cried to the whispers in the dark. "Keep your hoards and your secrets hidden in the Accursed Years! Speed only we ask. Let us pass, and then come! I summon you to the Stone of Erech!"

There was only more silence after that. They continued on and at last light grew and the company passed through another gateway. The chasm before them was deep and narrow, and the sky was dark. Gimli learned after that it was not yet sunset but this place was far removed from the sun's gaze. The company mounted again. Legolas turned to speak to Gimli and suddenly stopped. Gimli saw a glitter in his bright eyes. Elladan was behind them, but Legolas was not looking at the Son of Elrond.

"What is it?" Gimli asked. At that Haldir too turned and his eyes glittered as he saw what Legolas did.

"The Dead are following. I see shapes of Men and of horses, and pale banners like shreds of cloud, and spears like winter thickets on a misty night. The Dead are following."

"Yes, the Dead ride behind. They have been summoned." Elladan said softly. The journey through the dark seemed to lessen the temper behind all four Elves previous anger, and as Legolas glanced at Elladan, he thought he saw a trace of softness in his gaze as he glanced at Legolas. But he did not look long, both turned away quickly, still uneasy around each other, even if they were calmer than before.

Gimli found this strange as well, but he said nothing. He too was quieted by the army that followed behind.

*

Once they reached the Stone of Erech, Aragorn summoned the Dead and then they went forward, with great haste and weariness, and only the strength of Aragorn's will kept the mortal Men going. The Elves had an easier time of it, though it was by no means a simple easy ride even for them, and Gimli was a rock, and as stubborn and as strong as one.

The next day there was no dawn, and they were lost to any mortal sight, while the Dead still followed them.

After that they found the folk of Umbar and Harad who had sailed up the river. They fled and gave up battle when they saw them. Legolas watched as the men screamed with fear that the King of the Dead was upon them. Angbor, however, took heart and Aragorn bade him gather his folk and come behind, if they dared, for Aragorn had need of them.

They then rode quickly and passed over the plains of Lebennin. Legolas tried to focus on the road but he could not help but notice the difference between the tales his people knew and the land around them.