Chapter 118

June 3019 TA

May and June began passing, Midyear coming closer. One day when both Aragorn and Gandalf could not be found, they returned with a sapling of the White Tree. The old was laid to rest, and the new one was planted, bringing new hope with it. On Midyear's Eve, they received reports of a host of Elves from Lórien and Imladris arriving and preparations began.

Those who had not understood the delay now did, and with the coming of the Elves came the wedding of Aragorn and Arwen. Elrond watched grimly as the feasting and dancing started, knowing his beloved daughter would soon be lost to him forever.

"Not forever," he turned to see the Princess of Eryn Lasgalen approaching.

"How can you say that?" He asked.

"Because I have seen what comes after death, and know that someday we will all be together again to sing before Eru."

Elrond's eyes looked curious. "My sons told me what happened, but I was not sure I believed them."

"Well what they said was true." Almiel said. "You, above all people, should believe."

"Actually, you should probably be talking to Glorfindel."

"Mmm, but you knew more about me than he did." Almiel said, eyes sparkling. "Besides, it was the Valar that sent him back, not Eru."

Elrond raised an eyebrow, "Eru?"

"Yes, it was his decision, his prophecy. He only sent the Valar as a confused messenger."

"And he decided on Thranduil?" The skepticism was evident in his voice.

"Don't seem so surprised." Almiel answered. "Everything was not as it seemed."

"That's obvious." Elrond said. "I suppose I should be grateful, but it will seem like an eternity."

"Eternity or not, you will still have your wife at your side." Almiel said. "That should give you hope."

"It does, but she does not know that her daughter will not be joining us."

"You will find comfort. Aman is a place closer to perfection than Ennor will ever be."

"You know this?"

"I was given a choice like any other, My Lord." She answered. "I was even persuaded toward Aman. I chose Ennor, even for all its faults I am needed here. Aman has peace on its own. Sometimes those here need reminding. I will stay until it is no more. Do not regret. With or without being a Ringbearer you would have still Sailed. Vilya only kept you here longer. You will be fine." Almiel said, smiling, and then inclined her head and left.

He watched as she looped her arm through the Marchwarden's and it dawned on him that they were married. Not sure when or how that happened, particularly with the Elvenking still alive, Elrond blinked a couple times as the Prince walked up and started talking with them. They all laughed at something Legolas said and then he took his sister on the dance floor while Haldir leaned back against a table talking to one of his own brothers, Elrond suspected it was Orophin.

Well, things did turn out unexpectedly after all.

*

"So now what happens?" Orophin asked his brother quietly. "I now know the tale, but not what happens after?"

Haldir cocked his head, glancing toward his wife. "I haven't thought much of it. Almiel plans to return to Eryn Lasgalen at least for awhile."

"I meant after that. Our people are leaving these shores." Orophin pointed out. "Soon enough there will be no Lothlórien."