Chapter 32

c. 2510 TA

As soon as Haldir and Almiel had left the clearing, Elladan had arrived in Lórien. He had sensed something wrong and upon arriving Elladan ran to find his brother whom he found picking himself off the ground. Elrohir brushed himself off, the adrenaline at last going down as the energy source was cut off.

He rubbed his eyes not sure at all what had happened. Elladan approached him slowly. "Brother?" He asked softly.

Elrohir turned to see Elladan looking at him worried. "What?"

"Our bond feels off… like something dramatic has happened to yours." Elrohir frowned. Had something dramatic happened? The only thing he remembered was confessing his love to Almiel and then picking himself off the forest floor. He had a feeling something else had happened but he was not sure. Then he did remember. He remembered Almiel collapsing and Haldir rushing off with her.

"The Princess! She was hurt! I must see that she is okay." Elladan looked at him concerned and then nodded.

"We will get horses and ride after her." He said.

*

Four days had gone by since Almiel had returned, but as of yet neither Haldir nor Almiel had awakened, which only made Thranduil more tense. On the third day, some of this tension was relieved by the appearance of Rúmil and Orophin. Thranduil had been walking from the throne room back to the Royal Wing when he heard a warm greeting. "Uncle!" Rúmil had called.

Thranduil turned, the first smile in days that was genuine. It did not last long or spread that wide, but it was a smile nonetheless. "Well, well, it's been a long while." He said, cocking his head. "You were twenty-five last time you were here." Rúmil grinned, somewhat abashed.

"Orophin would not let me leave, and Haldir never takes anyone with him."

"Older brothers can be annoying, not that I would personally know, except from what I observe." Thranduil replied, a trace of mirth in his eyes that was gone quickly at the wary look in Orophin's eyes as he approached. Thranduil then sighed. "Your brother is asleep, he has been since he arrived."

"What's wrong?" Flew out of both brothers' mouths.

"With him, nothing." Thranduil said. His eyes inspected theirs. "I was hoping you could tell me what happened."

The brothers exchanged a glance before Orophin spoke. "No, not really. We were on patrol, just the three of us. We were walking at a casual pace back before Haldir jumped on his horse, almost fainting quickly after. I… he told us we could not approach. I am not sure why, but we did not even see what happened. We were only told by Haldir that if we could to bring Condu and the rest of…"

Thranduil simply nodded, understanding. "I am surprised he has not told you. Perhaps when he wakens I will talk to him about that. I do not think either of you would speak of it to another, and if Haldir continues to do things like this it will be harder to keep from you anyway." He paused while the brothers looked confused. "In either case, I am surprised your Lady gave you leave."

Rúmil grinned. "It took some effort, but apparently, since the three of us never seem to have anything better to do, and since Haldir has yet to receive leave after his multiple year sojourn, she decided to give all three of us leave for three months." Thranduil raised an eyebrow.

"Is that not rather short?"

"Something about not being able to spare us." Orophin shrugged.

In past times, Thranduil might have laughed, but his daughter's unconscious condition did not let even a chuckle escape. "Come, you may stay where you did before. I don't think the room has even been used since."