Chapter 61

c.2941 TA

It was several days later, and Thranduil and his army, as well as Bard and his army, set off for the Lonely Mountain. They arrived by that evening and found themselves looking up at a barricaded mountain. "What shall we do?" Bard asked looking to the Elvenking for advice. Thranduil stared up at the mountain with a most intense gaze. Bard looked toward Legolas for help, but found Legolas staring at the mountain with the same intensity.

If he had known they were both desperately seeking the presence of a beloved family member, he might have understood. As it was, he was hopelessly lost. Some of the Elves even looked at their King hesitantly, knowing he had been in a rather worse mood than usual lately. "We send a small contingent to explore. Find out who is all there." The last part Thranduil said in almost a whisper but no one dared question him. "Legolas will go for my people, and one other." He said turning quickly and striding back through the camp to his tent.

Two of Bard's people volunteered and they went up to the Front Gate. There they began pointing and discussing ways to get into the mountain before they were interrupted. "Who are you that come as if in war to the gates of Thorin son of Thrain, King under the Mountain, and what do you desire?" Legolas, being the one who had climbed the fortifications, stared at the wall for a good long time before he finally turned away, the others having long been gone.

I do not feel her in there. He told his father. But she's blocked me out before.

Valar help her if she's blocking both of us out, especially now. If the dragon killed her… someone better hold me back while I resurrect the dragon to kill him again.

Patience father. There is much hope yet. She might not have even come this way. Besides, would we not know if she died?

Maybe, but what if she blocked us out through the end? Would we still know? Legolas started to say something, but Thranduil stopped him again. And, as for coming this way, just how well do you know your sister? Legolas remained silent. My point, my Prince.

*

The next morning, Thranduil decided he himself would get close to Erebor. "Ada, they know your face rather well."

"As they probably know yours." Thranduil added. "Come we will disguise ourselves." Legolas sighed, especially as he eyed the berries crushed and noted the unusual darkness of his father's hair.

"Why must you always stick to an idea once it's in your mind no matter the…" He trailed off realizing what he was about to say. Thranduil had one eyebrow raised at him, daring him to continue. Legolas swallowed and shook his head. "Never mind, it's a good plan." Thranduil turned from him.

"Good, that's what I thought." He picked up some clothes and threw them at his son. "We go as spearmen."

As it happened, the plan worked so well that even Bard, who was going as well, jumped when he first realized it was the Elvenking next to him. "Are you sure of this, My Lord?" He asked. Thranduil simply gave him a rather hard stare and Bard backed off. Legolas held Mirkwood's banner as they walked and they advanced until they reached the wall barring the Gate. Again, the same voice called out to them with the same words. Bard stepped forward. "Hail Thorin!" He gave a rather pretty speech and Thorin answered grimly. Thranduil glanced at his son.

They better hope they are alive if…

I get it father. You have said as much enough times. Thranduil looked disgruntled and turned away, again facing Thorin while Bard said yet another speech. They went back and forth several times until Thorin said that he would never deal with the people of the Elvenking where Thranduil started to step forward but Legolas stopped him.

This is what got us into this in the first place, remember?

Vaguely.

They departed but later sent messengers declaring the mountain under siege. Thranduil paced his tent many times over during that time wondering where in the world his daughter was and whether those stubborn Dwarves happened to know. In between that time, Gandalf arrived but was remaining quiet as of yet. A couple more days passed this way, when Legolas and Thranduil received word of the spy being found. Bard came to their tent with a small Halfling dressed in Elvish armour. The three sat and Thranduil was staring quite curiously at the small fellow.

"That armour… it was in the dragon's hold?" He asked. Bilbo nodded. Bard looked at him curiously but Thranduil simply ignored it and motioned for Bilbo to continue. Bilbo did so and continued telling his story during which Thranduil seemed very jumpy, something he was not generally known for. Poor Bilbo had only seen Thranduil during this time when he was so unpredictable, and therefore had the impression that the Elvenking did live up to his incredibly harsh reputation. So it was, that when Bilbo brought forth the Arkenstone and Thranduil stood up in amazement that he got the wrong idea that the Elvenking was about to run him through right then and there.

"It is the Arkenstone of Thráin," said Bilbo in a rather small voice. Thranduil slowly sat down again. He was not naïve, he saw the way Bilbo was shooting glances at him out of the corner of his eyes. Truth be told, it rather amused him and he decided to let Bilbo think whatever he wanted too for a little while longer. However, when Bilbo said he was about to leave, Thranduil changed his mind.

"Bilbo Baggins!" He exclaimed. "You are more worthy to wear the armour of elf-princes than many who might have looked more comely in it. But I wonder if Thorin Oakenshield will see it so. I have more knowledge of Dwarves in general than you have perhaps. I advise you to remain with us, and here you shall be honoured and thrice welcome." Bilbo denied his offer, but before he left Thranduil called to him again.

"Master Baggins," he said. Bilbo looked at him expectantly, perhaps thinking he was about to be thrown in the dungeons. Thranduil decided to choose his words carefully. "You need only answer me yes or no. Are the thirteen Dwarves the only ones in the Mountain besides yourself?"

"Yes My Lord."

"There is none other? None joined your company upon leaving my woods?"

"No My Lord." Bilbo said. Bilbo looked greatly confused at the contemplative look in Thranduil's eyes. Legolas looked at his father.

"He answered honestly." He said softly. Thranduil nodded.

"I know. I wish it were otherwise."

"You would rather me lie?" Bilbo asked, now greatly confused.

"No," Thranduil answered, "I only wish you would say that there was another in the Mountain with you. Now I have to live through whatever war is coming just to discover what happened." He fell silent then but both the king and Bard saluted Bilbo with honour as he left.

Bilbo wandered through the tents toward the Gate when he was stopped by a hooded figure. "Well done! Mr. Baggins! There is always more about you than anyone expects!" Gandalf exclaimed.

"Gandalf!" He exclaimed. "How did you get here?"

"All in good time!" said Gandalf. He stopped and hesitated before motioning Bilbo closer. "Tell me, dear burglar, what kind of mood has the Elvenking been in lately?" He asked quietly.

"Rather strange one," Bilbo said. "He was very upset with the Dwarves when he captured them. When he got here, however, he's seemed worried about something. He had rather unusual questions for me too, like whether we were indeed the only ones in the Lonely Mountain. He wouldn't explain, but his son, at least I think its his son, said I was speaking honestly."

Gandalf appeared to be worried about the Elvenking's mood for a long moment. Then he shook his head. "Things are drawing towards the end now, unless I am mistaken. There is an unpleasant time just in front of you; but keep your heart up! You may come through all right. There is news brewing that even the ravens have not heard. Good night!"