Chapter 56

c.2941 TA

Everyone remained silent as they heard chaotic shouts of Dwarves flying everywhere. Thranduil had managed to recover, somewhat (his mind was still brooding on the issue), and was sitting in silence. Almiel was glancing at the Dwarf that lay sleeping on the ground. Soon, however, the shouts died away and morning came. "Bring him," Thranduil said and then glanced at Legolas. "Send out a patrol, find them. Preferably before they are eaten. Be quiet about it, they have made enough noise for the Spiders to catch on." Thorin was carried inside and all waited for him to wake up.

"My lord, about my inquiry, I think our children will make a fine match-." Bundraeg started and missed the dark look sweep through Thranduil's eyes.

"If you please, we have enough going on as of now. Stay for the night, there are too many Spiders for me to send you back, but if you wish to remain in my favour, stay out of my way." Thranduil said and then left Bundraeg standing staring at the king's back.

None of this was helping Thranduil's overall mood, and as reports through the trees and their birds made their way to Thranduil they boded ill. Spiders were roused and moving angrily through the woods. Thranduil had ordered all those outside to take cover, and the fact that it was Dwarves who caused the ruckus did not make the situation any better. Thus, when he was informed that Thorin was awake, he ended up gazing quite sternly on the Dwarf king.

"Why did you and your folk three times try to attack my people at their merrymaking?" asked the Elvenking. Thorin appeared annoyed at the question.

"We did not attack them," answered Thorin, "We came to beg, because we were starving." It was Thranduil's turn to be annoyed though in his case only those closest to him realized this.

"Where are your friends now, and what are they doing?"

Thorin shrugged his shoulders as best he could. "I don't know, but I expect starving in the forest."

"What were you doing in the forest?"

"Looking for food and drink, because we were starving." Almiel could feel the words grating on his father's last nerve.

"But what brought you into the forest at all?" asked the king angrily.

Thorin said nothing in reply. Thranduil asked him question after question and still there was no answer. Thranduil finally turned his eye to his daughter. What do you feel from him? Almiel looked at the Dwarf.

Not this time, she answered. Thranduil did not hide his surprise this time. Thorin looked even more surprised because nothing had visibly happened to show why the King was so surprised. The Elves in the room all glanced at each other.

You would deny your father and king?

Only this once, you are not in your right mind. Almiel said quite calmly.

"Very well!" said the King. At that, Almiel was not sure if he was talking to her or to the Dwarf, perhaps it was both. "Take him away and keep him safe, until he feels inclined to tell the truth, even if he waits a hundred years." Taenron organized the Elves to take care of it. When it was finished, Thranduil strode from the room and no one dared stop him for anything.

*

It was almost two days later when the Elves brought the rest of the Dwarves back. Before this had happened, Bundraeg had decided to seek the princess out herself. Once Thranduil found out, he was, to put it mildly, less than pleased. Legolas, who had still been retrieving the Dwarves felt his father's sudden spike in emotion and had sighed. Taenron had glanced at him, raising an eyebrow. Legolas gave him the usual look that exchanged between them often as Legolas' father's emotions varied. In either case, Thranduil had yet to have time to confront the lord about it before the Dwarves arrived.