Chapter 81

December 20 3018 TA

It was nearing two months after the Council when Legolas received word from Mirkwood. What he heard, shocked him to his very core. Elrond found him at the archery range, where he had been practicing, kneeling on the ground, arms shaking slightly. A very surprised Elrond approached the Elf cautiously, knowing it was dangerous to surprise him. He knelt in front of him. "What is it?" He asked Legolas.

Legolas shakily handed Elrond a letter. There were two separate pages. The first was simply addressed to Imladris, from Mirkwood.

Imladris,

Almost everything here is as it was left, but darkness is descending. No, so far there have been no sightings of Nazgûl, but fear is radiating from the forest. Evil is coming, we all feel it.

Mirkwood

The second page was actually addressed more personally.

Legolas,

If ever I wished for you to be less responsible it is probably now, though at the same time I cannot help but feel pride. But please, whatever path you may take stay as safe as it is possible. I have no delusion about what may happen, but at least promise you will do your best to come home once your task is over. As for us… well, I have sent Almiel on. She would not stay any longer, and I could not stop her. For now she is safe. But remember, she told you she would see you before the end. Do not despair, las.

Garo lend vaer. Le uivelin*.

Elrond's mouth opened slightly, realizing what was in this letter could possibly mean. Almiel has left Mirkwood…

He looked back at the shaken Prince who was struggling to breathe correctly. "Legolas, breathe, you would know if she was hurt." Legolas was trying his best, but still he shook. "This says she is safe right now. Maybe she was sent to Lórien."

"Maybe… but just that… he knows she would not stay there either… she…" he stumbled over his words. It was there that Gandalf found them, and his heart broke for Legolas as Elrond told him what had happened.

"My Lord Elrond?" A voice was calling. Elrond glanced up. He passed off the more personal letter to Gandalf and then walked to meet whoever was calling him keeping the other letter with him.

"It seems as if once more I am going on an adventure with one of Thranduil's kin." Gandalf said lightheartedly. Legolas looked at him, his eyes still wide and distressed.

"You are coming with us?"

"Yes, as is your little acorn." Legolas tried to smile, but it faltered. Gandalf sighed.

"Come, why don't I walk you to your room? I am guessing you will leave within a few days, and you will need to be rested." Legolas complied numbly, Gandalf leading him quite cunningly and avoiding everyone within the halls. After the door to his room was shut behind them, Gandalf sighed. "She will be fine, Legolas. There is hope. She has gotten out of tough situations before."

"Maybe," Legolas said, "But the darkness has never been this deep before."

"And she has never been stronger."

"Even the Wise cannot see what will happen, but I only have one thing to know for certain. That it was foretold that Middle-Earth hung in the balance, and now here we are, Middle-Earth hanging in the balance, and my sister has left her home."

"Do not dwell on such things." Gandalf said. "If nothing else, I am positive you will see her before this is all over."

"How do you know?" Legolas asked.