Chapter 60

c.2941 TA

Three days after the messenger had arrived in Lórien, he returned to Mirkwood. He walked into the throne room, rather slowly and rather pale. "My King," he said Thranduil's gaze slowly turned to his. "Your daughter was not in Lórien. Neither was Galadriel, Lord Celeborn seemed to imply she might know where they were." Thranduil's gaze turned cold.

"Assemble the army," he said to Legolas. The dragon had been stirring around the night before. If his daughter was with those Dwarves, he had to get there before the dragon killed them all. That is if the dragon had not already. "We ride for Laketown, and then for Erebor. Valar help that dragon if he has my daughter." Thranduil said through gritted teeth. Legolas bowed quickly and began assembling the army.

They were ready to march that evening and Thranduil was dressed in full battle gear atop his black stallion, Mornenion. "Move out," Thranduil called. Legolas nudged his horse forward next to his father.

"What if she isn't there?" He asked quietly.

"Then I will deal with the Dragon, deal with those bothersome Dwarves, and then find her and lock her in our dungeons." Thranduil said. Legolas pulled his horse back silently.

This was going to be fun.

*

Gandalf had left them, Almiel agreeing to take his horse back to Beorn who would surely miss it. After all, Gandalf was needed far more than she was. Haldir had his own horse now as well, so it was a quick ride to the edge of the forest and up to the land Beorn protected.

"I am glad you have returned my horse." Beorn told her as they arrived.

"It was no trouble, and we figured you would want it back."

"Why did Gandalf not return it?"

"There is trouble brewing Eastward. Smaug has been riled, and now the rest of the world waits to see what will happen." Almiel said.

"If he is killed there will be trouble even sooner." Haldir said. "Everyone will want in the mountain."

"Yes, that is true." Beorn said. "The Goblins and Wargs have been roused lately, and if Smaug falls, they may decide to try to take Erebor." Almiel's face clouded over in worry. She and Haldir exchanged a glance.

"If that happens, are you willing to lend aide?"

"We shall see. Now leave me, I must go out once more." Almiel and Haldir watched Beorn stride off into the night.

"Are you returning home now?" Haldir asked.

Almiel stood contemplative for a long moment. "No… no I have a promise to claim in the eventuality of a soon to be battle."

*

The next night…

Thranduil held up his hand at the edge of the woods. Something was not right…

A loud boom sounded in the distance, and then fire rained from the sky. "Smaug…" Thranduil said. Smaug flew around the mountain several times spewing fire and shaking the mountain before he took off and landed at Laketown. Thranduil's eyes were widened in fear. The battle seemed to last forever, but it was really not long before Smaug crashed into the Lake. Thranduil's eyes turned back toward the mountain.

"Could the Dwarves have survived?" He heard an Elf say behind him.

"They better have, because if they did not I will raise the dead if they put her in danger." Thranduil's voice growled. "Come on," he said.

The next day a scout met them halfway to the city asking for help to rebuild. Thranduil's eyes glanced between the scout and Erebor before he sighed. "We shall help them rebuild. They need our help."

"What of Almiel?" Legolas asked.

"If she is with them a couple more days will not hurt." Thranduil said, but his voice was lower than it should have been.

"As you wish," Legolas said softly. He signaled to the army and they all turned aside to help the people of Laketown.

*

A few days later…

"Smaug is dead." The Eagle said.

"Yes," Almiel said, "And now we will need help. The Goblins will not stay silent. You have made promises to my kin, and we might need those fulfilled if we are to win." The Eagles all looked at each other.

Most of the Eagles then took off and flew away in formation. "They are scouting." The leader said. "When they return we will give you our answer. In the meantime, rest." Almiel and Haldir both nodded. Sleep did not come quickly, both were too burdened by thoughts of battle and other such things. Almiel took to standing at the edge of the Eyrie and staring toward her home and the Lonely Mountain in the distance.

"The view is quite nice up here you know." Haldir said to her.

"Indeed," Almiel agreed. The stars were all quite visible from here, and brighter than they'd ever been anywhere else. "The stars are as pretty as they have ever been."

Haldir smiled and turned to face her. "I wasn't just talking about the stars you know." Almiel raised an eyebrow.

"Oh, was it the mountains you were speaking of? Because you're right this is a really good vantage point." Haldir put on his best defeated look.

"You tease me."

"Yes, I do." Almiel said teasingly and shoved him lightly. "Least I can do for saving my life twice." Haldir pouted and looked away.

"For some reason I thought the reward would be better than this." He said.

"Not while I'm still around." She said. She stood up and walked to the edge where she looked down at the valley below. Eagles could be seen flying in slow circles as they guarded their Eyrie. Haldir turned serious then and stood to walk beside her.

"You say that like you'll be gone soon." He said. She looked at him.

"You know me better than anyone." She said. "Surely you know my thoughts." Haldir reached out to grab her shoulder.

"Then why do I get the feeling that you don't want to die?"

"Who said I wanted too?" She asked. He stepped closer.

"You make it sound like you do. I know different. There are other ways." He said.

"I will not turn away simply because I am scared of dying." She said. He frowned and made her turn to face him completely.

"You said it yourself before, no one wants to die. You are no different. Turning away will not make anyone disappointed in you, much less those closest to you."

"It is not a matter of disappointing anyone." Almiel said.

"Then what is it? Just because some prophecy said you may die does not mean you have too." Haldir said. "Why else would I have the gift I do?" Almiel stared off into the distance.

"Perhaps to keep me alive until the time is right." She said softly. Haldir's eyes widened in shock.

"Surely you don't believe that?" He said. "You are not just a sacrifice for the rest of Middle-Earth." Almiel remained silent. Haldir stared at her, not quite believing what he was hearing. "Almiel…" She put her hand to his mouth.

"Shh…" She said. "I promise you I will not die until it is time."

"What of promising me to try not to die at all?"

"That is one thing I will never be able to promise." She said. "Come, we should rest." She grabbed his hand before he could protest and steered him back to where they were supposed to be sleeping. Haldir found no sleep that night, however.

By the end of the night, he had promised himself one thing.

He would carry the weight of the ocean before he would allow her to just walk into death's embrace.