Chapter 45

c.2810 TA

Almiel stood after Valto fell asleep and motioned to Haldir. When they got off the healing flet she laughed softly. "My father would be so disappointed. He worked so hard at his formidable reputation."

"I think he still deserves the reputation do you not?" Haldir said though he laughed as well.

"Probably…" Almiel admitted. "Though I should probably warn him when I return."

"Mmm…" Haldir agreed, the thought that she would have to return made him wish she had gotten sick so she could stay with him. Then again… that thought alone would probably earn him two arrows to the heart: one from Thranduil, the other from Legolas. He was not sure which would shoot first either.

At that moment, Gandalf appeared and walked toward them. "I suppose I should be grateful. My life is now not in danger of having a wrathful Legolas descending on me."

Almiel smiled. "I told all of you much the same."

"Forgive us if past experience causes us to question such statements from you." Haldir said smiling. Gandalf's eyes twinkled.

"He speaks truth."

Almiel sighed. "I feel so outnumbered. I do remind you, Mithrandir, that it was your idea for me to come, and it was you that asked my father to let me go."

Haldir laughed. "That was quite some venture I assume."

"None more so than the usual, and I hardly think you should be laughing for you may have to take a similar venture someday."

"Me? I hardly think so. The King sends for me or sends her here, I never have need to conquer such a quest." Something in Haldir's mind told him Gandalf might know Haldir's newfound affection for Almiel, perhaps even before he did. In either case, Haldir decided it might be time to change the subject before Almiel tried to decipher the hidden meaning of the words herself. "Besides which, the King quite obviously agreed, out of his mind or not."

"I believe he told my brother he was out of his mind." Almiel commented. Gandalf laughed then.

"I do believe that caused us an hour delay as well." He cocked his head. "I also believe that it was my duty to escort you both before the Lady when you were ready. It seems as if you are, and your patients are happily asleep so, shall we?" Almiel nodded and Haldir followed her as they both followed Gandalf to the Lady.

"Welcome once more, Princess of the Greenwood." Galadriel said when they ascended to her flet.

"I thank you, for allowing me entrance once more." Almiel responded, inclining her head slightly.

"I think that, this time, we have you to thank for returning one of our own back to us."

"You are welcome, but Mithrandir was as important as I was if not more."

"Perhaps, but you were the one that healed the man, not Mithrandir."

Almiel smiled. "Yes, but if it was not for Mithrandir I would not have come at all." Mithrandir's eyes sparkled at that because he was realizing that, somehow, Almiel was truly becoming her father's daughter.

"Well spoken," Celeborn said, "I entrust you have rested well and not given too much of yourself?"

"Yes, perhaps not by choice, but this Marchwarden made it clear I had too." Haldir smiled slightly.

"All in your best interests, Princess."

"Good," Celeborn said. "Since I am sure you have not had a proper meal in a while, would you all care to join us for a rather late afternoon meal?" Almiel, Gandalf, and Haldir all said they would as if they actually had a choice.

"Then we shall allow you all to freshen up before the meal and join us presently." They all dipped their heads and began to leave. The Lady spoke once more, "Almiel, a moment please." Haldir's eyes looked surprised, but he simply caught Almiel's eye and probably told her something before he left. Gandalf and Celeborn both left together, for they had much they still wanted to talk about, leaving Almiel and Galadriel alone.

"Tonight, come back here, for I have much to speak with you about."

"Of course, My Lady." Almiel said.

"You may leave then," Galadriel said. Almiel turned to leave, and Galadriel left her with a final parting instruction. "And Almiel, tonight, come alone." Almiel said nothing but inclined her head once more before descending the flet to freshen herself.

*

That night, after Haldir had retired to his own quarters, Almiel left her own to visit the Lady. When she arrived, the Lady simply motioned and Almiel followed her whereupon she beheld the Mirror of Galadriel for the first time.

"So this is what you wished to speak with me of?" She asked. Galadriel raised an eyebrow at her but remained silent. It was not long before Gandalf and Celeborn both joined them.

"Almiel, there have been several occasions, particularly the death of your mother, that were clouded from my sight. Not only in the Mirror, but also from my own source of power. None others have done so to me. It might be clouded yes, but hidden entirely, never. We all believe this is resultant of your gift, strange though it may be. What do you say?" Galadriel asked.

"Not strange," Almiel said quite decisively. "My path is my own to take, none others would see it before it came to be." Gandalf smiled.

"Perhaps," the Lady agreed. "That is why you are here. If what you say is true, than the only one able to see your path would be yourself. Will you look into the Mirror?" Almiel glanced at the water, still as glass, and then at the other three around her.

"What is important about knowing my fate? I already know what the Valar said concerning me. What else is there to know?"

"Not quite true," Celeborn said. "The fact that you may die may or may not have anything to do with your path."

"I told your father much the same. All of us probably have that phrase attached to us, in some form or another. Anyone of us could die. That is nothing new." Gandalf said.

"Then what was so important that my father had to be contacted by the Valar before I was even born? Just to say that I had a gift? Nay, all parts of the prophecy are interwoven. I could have told you that much long ago."

"So then what have you to fear by looking in the Mirror?" Galadriel asked. A strange look gleamed in Almiel's eyes and she smiled wryly.

"Don't patronize me," she said, "Or do you forget who I am? I know very well that your fear is that I will not look in the Mirror. Or that, if I do, it will remain dark for even me. I do not fear the future, or knowing my fate for that matter. I have lived my entire life knowing that I may die. I have seen death. I have looked it in the eye, quite literally." Gandalf chuckled.

"You forget, my Lady, that she is the child of Thranduil." Galadriel's eyes had widened during her speech and her thin lips parted.

"Nay, I just did not realize that even his child would have become so much like him even carrying the gift she does."

"I am still here." Almiel reminded her.

"I am well aware, dear child." Galadriel said, an almost weary tone entering her voice. "If then, what you say is true, will you look into the Mirror?" Almiel went quiet for a minute.

"Your fear is groundless," she said, "I will look, though I feel I already know what I will see."