Chapter 47

c.2810 TA

"When do you plan on leaving?" Haldir asked Almiel the next day.

"Soon, my job here is done. I only linger to delay returning to my rather overprotective brother."

"Well, your overprotective brother sent a message back."

"What did he say?" Almiel asked.

"That you should return quickly and safely as soon as you are ready. I assume that means he wants you home… now." Almiel laughed.

"I suppose I should oblige… though I risk being smothered to death."

Haldir smiled wryly. "At least they would do it in love."

"Tis true…" Almiel said. "I shall probably return sometime this week. It depends on Mithrandir as much as me. I am unsure as to what he wants to do."

"Mmm…"

"Were you talking about me?" Gandalf's voice asked from behind them.

"Were you eavesdropping?" Almiel teased.

"I would never dare." Gandalf said. "But since I happened to overhear what you were saying." Almiel and Haldir both laughed, and Gandalf's eyes twinkled before he continued. "You may return. I think I shall have to go to Imladris next. As much as your father has become less protective of you, I think he would have my heart should I take you there." Haldir's grip tightened on her arm. Almiel looked at him before sighing.

"I do not think you need me anymore anyway." She said.

"Not at the moment," Gandalf agreed. "Give your father my thanks." But do not speak to him of Thrain, if it can be avoided, I think you know why.

Unfortunately, I will do my best.

I'm much obliged.

"I will," Almiel said, "Though he may not be too happy for your thanks."

Gandalf grunted. "You did not take ill, I did what I said I would." Almiel laughed. "It is here I shall tell you farewell, young Princess. I will see you sometime soon."

"I rather hope not… no offense." Haldir said low and a little grumpy.

Gandalf smiled but said nothing. Almiel nodded at him, "Farewell."

Gandalf lifted his hand in the air as farewell and left the two alone once more. Haldir sighed and turned to her.

"Well… it seems as if you are leaving me again."

"Not today… I shall leave the day after tomorrow."

Haldir smiled. "Good, at least you are giving me a day."

"A day? I think it's more of a day and a half." Haldir laughed.

"I was not including the time you would spend preparing to leave."

"Ah, in that case, you were a little closer." Almiel thought for a minute. "I shall, however, return though I am not sure when, but I will."

Haldir cocked his head. "How do you know that?"

Almiel shrugged. "Just a feeling."

"Well then come, my sister, we shall have a day and a half to ourselves here under the trees of Lothlórien." He held out his hand to her and she laughingly took it as he led her through the paths of Lothlórien.

*

The Lady rather graciously, perhaps because of the visions in the Mirror that she did see, let Haldir be the one to take Almiel home. So it was, that Almiel and Haldir were both riding at a comfortable pace through Mirkwood that day and a half later.