Chapter 106

March 25 3019 TA

Elrohir saw the Prince waver where he was kneeling and because of the bond he had once ripped open between himself and the Princess, he felt her collapse. Elrohir swayed once before he realized that the Prince was about to die, and Elrohir would not be responsible for another of Thranduil's line almost dying in his presence. He grabbed a bow from a surprised Rohirrum and took an arrow as well. Sighting his target he let the arrow fly, lowering the bow as he knew he had succeeded.

*

Legolas looked up blankly to see death's face on the Orc in front of him. His mind was numb anyway so he accepted his fate with his sister's. Then, without warning, an arrow embedded the Orc in between the eyes, and it fell backward with finality. Legolas stared at the Orc wide eyed, before his heart seared in pain. His sister's collapse came quickly, and now it took its toll on his body. So his eyes shut, and he was rendered unconscious.

*

Elrohir saw the Prince faint, and he yelled at Estel. "Estel, Legolas!" Aragorn looked at him and when Elrohir pointed at the prone Prince, Aragorn's face drained of color and he ran to the Prince. Elrohir looked toward where he had seen the Princess, and shock formed in his eyes. Sauron had stood, staring at his new formed body. His body looked as it had when he had first come into being, when he was still good himself.

He then glanced at the now prone figures beside him and a horrified look entered his gaze. Almiel had not only penetrated his appearance, but his soul as well. With an unearthly scream, Sauron again collapsed to his knees and even as the entire field watched, his body caught on fire on its own. The screams intensified and then faded. The fire flared for a minute, and then it disappeared. Nothing was left, not even ashes.

Elrohir ran toward the Princess and knelt next to her as he reached her. Haldir was lying beneath her, somehow having caught her and turned before collapsing. Elrohir knew, but felt for her pulse anyway. He sighed as nothing moved the vein beneath his finger.

Instead he turned to Haldir. He put a hand on his neck and pulled away just as Elladan reached him. He looked at his brother with surprise in his eyes. "He's still alive."

*

It seemed that time had stretched to eternity as Taenron ran for his king. Then, time stopped. All of the Elves felt a great darkness leave, and the Orcs all shrieked in despair. Thranduil's horse hit the ground again and Taenron ran to its side.

Thranduil was blinking rapidly as Taenron went to see where he was injured. Then the king suddenly flared with new life, his eyes lighting in a dangerous anger. His horse snorted once, and the Troll who had been coming at him suddenly hesitated. Thranduil glared at it for a moment, and then his grip on his sword tightened. "Follow me if you can." His voice was lower than it had ever been in Taenron's presence, even lower than it had been at the start of this last battle. It added a new layer of danger as Thranduil said something to his horse. The Elven army, which had been holding to see what fate awaited them and their king, paused as Thranduil's horse leapt forward with new vigor and Orcs, Wargs, Spiders, and the Troll began fleeing before the Elvenking.

The Elves all stared with amazement at the transformation, their king's usually hidden power bursting forth from him. The trees, already angry with their brother's burning, tuned into Thranduil's anger and they shook. Orcs that had been anywhere near a tree were dead within seconds and now they fled with renewed hurry.

The whole forest was passing the power from Thranduil's veins from creature to creature and it seemed as if the whole of Eryn Galen of old was summoning forth everything to vanquish the Enemy. The Elves recognized their chance and moved forward in excitement. They would rid the darkness of their forest once and for all.