Chapter 24

c. 2480 TA

Both Almiel and Haldir breathed easier when they entered Imladris. Almiel because, like in most Elven realms, the pain and fear was lessened here. Haldir because he knew it was safer here than roads they had been on. "Mae l'ovannen," Elrond said as he came out to meet them. His eyes inspected the Princess as she dismounted her horse, also somewhat surprised to see her grown. "You have grown, Princess." He said.

She smiled softly, still apparently somewhat shy. He was still unsure where this particular trait came from, for neither father nor mother had ever been shy. "Hannon le, Lord Elrond."

So you can greet lords the right way. Haldir commented.

I am a Princess, I have to.

You did not before. He said simply.

I was forty.

That's no excuse. He said teasingly.

When are you leaving again? She asked. It only made him laugh silently.

"Come," Elrond was saying, "Rooms have been prepared for both of you." As they walked beside him, Elrond glanced at Haldir. "Will you be staying as long as she is here?"

"No," Haldir answered, "I am leaving the day after tomorrow. I have several more places I am supposed to go and then I must return to Lórien."

Elrond nodded, this time engaging Almiel in conversation. While he did, Haldir had another wave of uneasiness about leaving Almiel here. The Elvenking would not want her travelling around with him for as long as he still had yet to go, but for some reason Haldir felt like leaving her here was not the right thing to do. Here she had no one save Elrond who could step in if something else happened, but Thranduil had made the decision, not him.

So thinking he parted from Almiel as they both entered their rooms, setting his bag down he sighed. He had spoken briefly with Thranduil before leaving, but it was clear the king only wanted his daughter out of harm's way. For the moment, that meant Imladris.

After both of them had cleaned up, they went to dinner. The crowd was not large, most were still arriving as they were. Elrond motioned them to sit across from him. "My sons are currently travelling but they are expected to arrive within a few days. Celebrían and Arwen are still in Lórien themselves." He explained as they saw no seats saved next to him for any of his family, having been occupied by several others.

"When will they return?" Almiel asked.

"Hopefully soon." He said. "Have you seen them Haldir?" He asked.

Haldir nodded. "Yes, occasionally. I only see them when I actually return to Caras Galadhon. Something that happens rarely lately. They were well when I left a year ago."

"You have been travelling for a year?" Elrond asked, surprised.

"Yes, unfortunately," Haldir admitted. "I am one of the only ones willing to still do it, and My Lady has to send someone."

"I was under the impression you were a Marchwarden, not an ambassador."

"That is true, but my father was an ambassador and I remain one of the few able to speak another language besides our own." Haldir said. "Not many in Lórien wish to leave, and therefore do not bother learning any other language. The few messengers that leave Lórien usually only go between here, the Havens, and occasionally Mirkwood."

Almiel glanced at him. "The same is true in Mirkwood, but now it is mostly for safety's sake." She looked at Elrond. "The wood has grown dark again, darker than before. My father fears the one Mithrandir drove out has returned."