Chapter 93

March 2-3 3019 TA

Gandalf, Legolas, Aragorn, and Gimli found Rohan a sight for sore eyes. The people were solemn, the king's hall in shadow. The king himself looked an old man, deep and troubled by many winters. It was hard for Legolas to believe that this king was younger than the acorn that stood beside him. Legolas had not once felt young in comparison to the members of the Fellowship, but for some reason seeing King Théoden made him feel just how young his body still was.

Legolas watched carefully as Gandalf freed the King, and the years dropped off Théoden like magic. Legolas then felt very old again. He sighed to himself, remembering that if he were here, his father would tell him exactly how young he was. Or Almiel would tell him how old he was. Both had been a common occurrence around the Palace.

Soon Éomer was sent for, and the king was given his sword again. Legolas watched him curiously. Holding a blade in hand seemed to do wonders for the king. Grima was soon banished and soon after Théoden decided that all would go to Helm's Deep. It would be a long ride and it had to begin very soon. Preparations were made in haste, and soon people poured out of Edoras at a massive rate. Legolas himself was not too sure about this journey or its ending. For some reason, a tingling feeling ran up his spine at the thought of it.

All he knew was that all before this had been child's play. The war was about to begin.

*

The commanders of the army and march wardens were summoned before Galadriel. "Five hundred need to be taken to Helm's Deep. It is time we once more interfered in the affairs of men. Haldir, you will take one hundred of your own. Four hundred shall go from the standing armies." All of the commanders agreed and bowed, ready to set out. They all turned to leave once Galadriel but for some reason Haldir knew Galadriel was going to hold him back.

The other commanders glanced at him. They looked as if they wanted to ask him what he was doing, but when he said nothing and did not acknowledge them, they continued on. Galadriel looked at him curiously. "How did you know?" Galadriel asked.

"You have held me back several times in the not-so-distant past already, my lady." Haldir answered.

"You have grown wise." She looked at him for a moment and then stood. "Come." He followed her as she led the way from her flet to the ground. It was not until they were alone and secluded that she spoke. "This battle may go awry."

"All battles are uncertain." Haldir said quietly. After all, he had been caught in dangerous ones himself.

"Yes, you are right. But this one is more dangerous than others. There will be ten thousand Uruk-hai. You have never fought these creatures before. They have both number and advantage."

The number caught Haldir off guard, but he replied calmly nonetheless, "They still have a heart that can be pierced, no?"

Galadriel smiled. "Yes."

"Why tell me this alone?" Haldir asked. "Surely the other commanders need to know as well?"

"They will be told." She glanced at him. "On the outside you have ever remained calm and unbothered by anything that happens. But I have seen your mind before. You are not so calm as might be expected."

"None of us are." Haldir said.

"No, but something tells me you have more reason to be restless of late."

Haldir glanced at her and then looked away. He knew what she might ask for, but he was not going to hand her the information on a silver platter without being asked. "So do many. We all live in fear these days."