Chapter 33

c. 2510 TA

While returning to Imladris, Elrohir remained for most of the trip in shock. He had no idea how it had happened or why he had done it save for the fact that he had felt deliriously happy and maybe drunk. He realized that he had not even drunk water that day before the event. So why did I do it? He continuously asked himself.

"Brother?" Elladan finally asked when they were almost home.

"Dan… why did I do it? How… I don't even know what happened!" He said rather close to tears.

Elladan turned to him. "It was not your fault, brother. The King was cold and unforgiving, especially toward a crime you never committed. A kiss cannot harm anyone to the point of passing out. So shall we be toward him and his family. Almiel can be forgiven certainly, but we shall not forgive either of the others, or Haldir, until they admit you committed no crime."

"What if I did though?" Elrohir sounded scared. "What if it was I that hurt her?"

"I don't believe you did. How could you have? Shocked her, maybe. Killed her, certainly not. Caused her to fall unconscious, only if you punched her, which you did not. Take no heed to the King. You are not guilty in this situation." Elrohir nodded slightly and straightened his shoulders.

"Then what shall we tell Ada?"

"The truth," Elladan answered.

*

The throne room was quite stiff at the moment. Thranduil, Haldir, and Legolas remained staring with narrowed eyes as the twins had fled until Thranduil shut the gate behind them. Then, they still did not move. All were debating still chasing after the twins and doing worse to them. Almiel remained buried in her father's chest. After a long moment that no one would remember the length of time it actually was, Thranduil came out of his darker reverie only to linger close back to it as he felt his robe becoming wet where Almiel's head was buried.

After that, he did not move for fear of startling his child. As they saw Thranduil's eyes turn down to focus on his daughter, both Haldir and Legolas shifted as they did the same. Legolas looked at Haldir questioningly, who slowly let out a long breath before nodding, indicating that Almiel would be fine. At the moment, she was simply in shock. Thranduil looked down at the sword still in his hand and briefly regretted not using it. He, in his mind, cursed the fact that they were Elrond's sons. He would not mind as much (more like at all) if it was anyone else.

Legolas correctly read his father's mind and walked up to him, gently pulling the sword out of his father's hand. Almiel needs us at the moment. He told his father who slowly nodded.

I know. We should get out of the throne room first. Legolas considered the situation briefly.

She probably wants to, too. She is probably still tired as well.

Thranduil nodded again, before his eyes drifted to Haldir. Did anything happen while they were so close just now?

No, it would have, but I blocked it. I did not want a repeat.

Thranduil remained silent, glancing back down at his daughter. She was not shaking as much, merely letting slow tears travel down her face. He looked back at Haldir. Your brothers are here. They have been worried about you as well. You should tell them- everything.

But I-

I know your brothers well enough. They will be as honest as you. Just tell them. Haldir seemed to struggle over how to answer that question before he simply nodded.

Ada? Almiel asked through their bond.

I am here. She remained silent for a long time. Thranduil considered what to do and then broke the silence for her. Come, let's go elsewhere.

She slowly agreed, and Thranduil gently guided her with his arms. Legolas and Haldir both stayed behind without being told. Right now, she only wanted her father with her. At least that's what they figured.

"Haldir," Orophin called from behind them. Haldir turned and smiled slightly. A few seconds later Rúmil was crushing him in a hug.

"Rúmil-" Haldir started not being able to breathe.

"Yes?"

"This…was not… as painful… when you were not… a warrior." Haldir tried to say. Rúmil grinned and pulled back.

"That's your fault."

"How so?"

"You and Orophin both became warriors and I was not going to be the only one left out."

"That is ridiculous. I tried to talk both of you out of it."

"And you succeeded so well." Orophin said rolling his eyes. "We are fine."

"So far," Haldir muttered, still in a darker mood. Legolas had been trying to slip out of the hall without being noticed, but Rúmil was not that unobservant and chased after him, tackling him to the ground in an embrace shortly after.

"Good to see you too." Legolas groaned. "You were a lot smaller when I used to let you do that."

"Whatever do you mean?"

"You were twenty-five last time you did it. Then I had to fall to let you knock me over, now I have to fight you off of me."

"At least I am not the only one with that opinion." Haldir said. "Rúmil, get off him." He continued as Rúmil did not move for a few seconds. "Have I failed that much, tackling a prince?"

"Well, he used to let me do it."

"That was long ago." Legolas muttered as he rubbed the now sore spots where he had been thrown on the floor.

"Well, then," Orophin interrupted, "Let's go somewhere else, you," he said poking Haldir in the chest, "Have a lot of explaining to do."

Haldir winced.

*

Thranduil had led Almiel back to his bedroom lowering her onto his bed. She still seemed tired, but he knew she was unwilling to part herself from him to go back to sleep. She also, as soon as he was sitting on the bed as well, buried herself again into him. "You are fine," Thranduil whispered as she clung to him.

"Ada," she started.

"You don't have to talk." Thranduil said. "Sleep if you must."

"I don't want to sleep." Almiel said. "I have done that enough."

"Perhaps not, you were very tired."

"Not anymore," Almiel said softly. Thranduil might have laughed at another time.

"Please, don't lie to yourself. I know you inherited that trait from me, but that also means you cannot tell me when you aren't tired because I know better."

Almiel sighed. "You are still angry."

"Of course I am. You almost died."

"I didn't."

"Almiel, I saw your reaction. Please don't tell me not to be angry."

"I suppose it won't change anything."

"No," Thranduil answered. Then he continued more gently, "We will talk later. I know you're tired. Sleep. I won't go anywhere."

"Promise?" Almiel asked sleepily.

"Promise," Thranduil said gently, humming lightly as she readjusted herself until she was asleep. Then he let his head lean back, anger resurfacing as the events of the day replayed themselves in his mind.