Chapter 87

Mid January 3019 TA

The Fellowship continued on, Legolas and Almiel walking arm in arm with soft conversation. Aragorn noticed Gimli kept glancing back at the two of them, as if he was not sure what to do with them. It made Aragorn chuckle slightly to himself, but he made no comment when Pippin questioned him.

Haldir noticed Almiel was giving off more than he expected for only eight people, and it made him wonder. She was not trying to heal the Ring, that would take more than even she had and she was not that stupid. Nor was she really giving all that much more to Frodo than the rest. Why? He asked her.

Her eyes narrowed at the back of his head, for he was still leading them and Legolas and Almiel were at the back. You shall learn soon enough.

They ascended to the chamber that held the Lord and Lady, and they greeted their guests one by one. Now Almiel had slipped from the group to rejoin Haldir where they stood off to the side. He glanced at her concerned but she pointedly ignored his look. They turned their attention back to the greetings, which called each of the fellowship by name.

"Welcome Aragorn son of Arathorn! It is eight and thirty years of the world outside since you came to this land; and those years lie heavy on you. But the end is near, for good or ill. Here lay aside your burden for a while!"

"Welcome son of Thranduil! Too long has it been since you have come." Legolas had smiled slightly.

It seems I cannot make the journey as much as my sister can.

Indeed, but here you shall stay for a little while. Galadriel answered.

"Welcome Gimli son of Glóin! It is long indeed since we saw one of Durin's folk in Caras Galadhon. But today we have broken our long law. May it be a sign that though the world is dark better days are at hand, and that friendship shall be renewed between our peoples." At that, Gimli bowed low.

Then the guests sat before the Lord, though Almiel and Haldir remained standing off to the side still. "Here there are eight." Celeborn started. "Nine were to set out: so said the messages. But maybe there has been some change of counsel we have not heard."

"Nay," Galadriel said, speaking for the first time out loud, "Gandalf the Grey set out with this Company, but he did not pass our borders. But now I cannot see him from afar, for he is shrouded in mist." To everyone but a few's surprise, her eyes flickered to the Princess. Almiel seemed to meet her gaze, but her eyes had hardened slightly.

"Alas!" said Aragorn, "Gandalf the Grey fell into shadow. He remained in Moria and did not escape."

The Elves who were gathered cried aloud at the news and after the shock wore off Haldir looked at Almiel. So that was it.

Yes.

You could have told me.

Probably.

You are as stubborn as your father...

Nay, I am more so. The reply only made Haldir grimace.

Celeborn spoke then. "These are evil tidings, the most evil that have been spoken here in long years fill of grievous deeds." He then looked toward Haldir and Almiel and spoke in their tongue. "But why has nothing of this been told to me before?" Haldir shifted and looked at Almiel. Almiel opened her mouth part way before Legolas spoke.

"We have not spoken to Haldir of our deeds or our purpose. At first we were weary and danger was too close behind; and afterwards we almost forgot our grief for a time." He flickered his eyes at his sister and the Lord and Lady seemed to understand. "As we walked in gladness on the fair paths of Lórien." They spoke a little longer with the Lord and Lady, telling their full tale and in the end Gimli himself was quite fond of the Lady. At long last, the Lady held each of them in her gaze, though only Legolas and Aragorn were able to hold it the entire time.