Chapter 42

c. 2810 TA

Almiel's voice fell silent and Gandalf looked at her for confirmation. Her eyes were sad and weary. "He lived long and had many a good time." Gandalf said. Almiel only shook her head.

"Tis wrong that someone should have to suffer and die so. No man should be able to do this to anyone." She felt a light hand on her shoulder and then comfort spread through her.

"You do not understand, because you have never been able to willingly harm anyone." Haldir's voice said behind her. "The Dark One is evil and the last thing on his mind is the comfort of his prisoners. He wishes on everyone the exact opposite of what you do. He gives pain, and you take it away." Almiel rose slowly and turned to face him. He saw the tears beginning to form in her eyes, and he put his hand on her cheek.

Is there not anything he would do for his greed? What use does he have in torturing poor souls that have lost their way in Mirkwood?

Not just Mirkwood, but everywhere Almiel. He feeds off of those poor souls, and he will fear you someday.

But why?

Because you can take what he's been up to for centuries and upset it. Haldir said. Almiel leaned into his body and he wrapped his arms around her. Be at peace, you are here now.Gandalf watched as Haldir held onto her.

Almiel had been right. She had neither gotten sick nor died, but the weight of having to watch three people die simply could not mesh with her nature. Gandalf looked to the two Elves who still seemed unaware of where they were. Haldir caught his eye and Gandalf raised an eyebrow.

My brothers are not far. One of them can take the body somewhere where it will be respectfully taken care of. The other will help you take those two into the city. Go ahead and use your horses. I will take care of the Princess. Remember though, our people mistrust the Dwarves, my brothers may take some convincing. I would. He grudgingly admitted.

Gandalf nodded at him. He went in search of Rumil and Orophin who were found soon after. "I need your help." He said. Both brothers appeared in shock at the body of the former king, but, after Gandalf explained part of the situation and Haldir shot his brother a look, Orophin said he would do what he could for the body. Rumil then helped Gandalf by placing one Elf on Condu gently and swinging up behind while Gandalf took one on his horse and they set off for the city.

Haldir watched it all still holding onto Almiel. My father will wish to know I am safe. She said finally. Haldir nodded.

Of course, he said. Then he began singing and a bird landed on his finger. He told it something and it flew off in the direction of Mirkwood. "Your father will know before the day is done." She smiled and then sighed.

"I should be better than this. I know there will be a time rather soon when darkness will come once more. It is why I was born. There will be battles… and how am I supposed to do what I am meant for?" Turning away from him, she spoke softly, not lightly revealing her own fear. In the presence of others, including her father, she kept strong. She said she could do it. And she kept that up so that those that needed her would not be pained or hurt.

But here, in front of the one whom she had no special effect on, she collapsed.

In truth, she was very strong. She was determined and proud and as stubborn as her father. She gave so much of herself and would never back down. But no one can just walk out of the enemy's stronghold unscathed. Almiel was no exception. "Almiel," Haldir said softly again putting his hand on her shoulder. "You are one of the strongest women I know. I have met others that are said to be stronger such as my Lady and her children and grandchildren. You cannot, however, bear the burden of the world by yourself. You are not all powerful however strong you may have been made."

"I only wish I could do more."

"More?" Haldir asked. "What more could you yourself possibly do?" He asked. Almiel looked dumbfounded for a second. "You have almost given your life twice. I am surprised you did not try to today. You give more than you have and you wish to do more? No one would ask that of you. Not I, nor your brother, and certainly not your father. Why do you ask it of yourself?" Almiel let her shoulders fall.

"I do not know…" She turned to face him again. "The irony… my greatest and perhaps only fear is not being able to help others deal with their own." Haldir wiped a tear that had fallen away.

"Then fear no more, you saved those people whether they lived or died. You let them die fearless and painless. Do not hurt yourself for doing what you can." Almiel did not answer but remained silent. Haldir offered her his arm. "Come, we are not needed at present. Let me show you something." Almiel hesitated and then took his arm. He smiled at her and led her through the forest.

*

Thranduil had been pacing nervously staring south every time he was alone since Almiel's departure. Legolas had fared no better, if not worse, staying at the archery range for ungodly hours and then staring south as well the rest of the time. If he had not been the greatest archer in Middle-Earth before, he most certainly was by now after the amount of time he had spent there.

It was around twilight when a bird flew into the throne room. It was no out of the ordinary occurrence, Mirkwood Elves had good relations with almost every friendly creature and used birds as messengers and scouts on a regular basis. The bird landed on the throne and the Elves in the room looked at it expectantly. Thranduil sang softly for it to continue. It chirruped only a few times before Thranduil stood quickly and the Elves took a step back. They mistook his sudden joy for anger however, and most were relieved when a smile graced the King's face. He listened to the rest of what the bird said before he sang to it again. The bird cocked his head and then chirruped once. It was then that Legolas walked into the room.

"My son, show this fellow where he may drink to quench his thirst. He has another journey ahead of him." The other Elves in the room exchanged glances with each other but said nothing. Your sister is safe in Lórien. Thranduil told Legolas. Legolas smiled at his father and inclined his head before whistling to the bird. Thranduil then continued on business as usual.

*

In Dol Gulder, the Dark Lord seethed. "I cannot believe you never told me about that cursed girl!" He yelled at the Witch-King.

"I did not think it important. I could not have realized it was her fault that the entire royal family woke up, nor that it was she who caused me such pain. Besides, it was her brother that eventually drove me out with that fire."

"But how?" Sauron asked himself. If he could, he would have been pacing. "How can one girl cause you pain? She's just a Princess."

"Its no secret Thranduil and his kingdom still retain some of their magic."

"No, but this is different. Thranduil could not keep me out. There's something different about her."

"Maybe she is particularly gifted?"

"Who in their right mind would give that mad king a gifted child? How dare she invade my fortress? Galadriel could be behind it… She still manages to use her power against me."

"Do you wish for me to follow her?" Sauron seriously considered it.

"No… not now. Until I have my Ring then I cannot risk declaring myself so openly. Killing the king's daughter would only cause more to turn their eyes hither. No… not yet. But she will die, mark my words, if it's the last thing I do."