Chapter 89

February 16 3019 TA

The Company had been summoned before Celeborn and Galadriel once more. Celeborn gave them the gifts of boats and they bade the Company a good night. Legolas returned with them, knowing they would take counsel on how to move forward. Legolas remained quiet, but most of them wanted to go to Minas Tirith. Frodo too remained silent and Aragorn was undecided. Aragorn could not, with Gandalf gone, abandon the Ring while it went with Frodo.

They decided on nothing and the night was growing old. The next morning, Haldir arrived with other Elves who brought them gifts of both food and clothing. "Lembas..." Legolas said.

Gimli tried a bite of one and quickly devoured the entire thing. "No more, no more! You have eaten enough for a long day's march!" The Elves said laughing.

They next unwrapped their gifts of clothing. "Are these magic cloaks?" asked Pippin.

"I do not know what you mean by that," Haldir answered. "They are fair garments, and the web is good, for it was made in this land. They are elvish robes certainly, if that is what you mean. Leaf and branch, water and stone: they have the beauty of all these things under the twilight of Lórien that we love; for we put the thought of all that we love into all that we make. Yet these are garments, not armour, and they will not turn shaft or blade. But they should serve you well: they are light to wear, and warm enough or cool enough at need. And you will find them a great aid in keeping out of sight of unfriendly eyes, whether you walk among the stones or the trees. You are indeed high in the favour of the Lady! For she herself and her maidens wove this stuff; and never before have we clad strangers in the garb of our own people."

Then they all stood looking with longing at the fountain. Then Almiel came walking up to them and Frodo greeted her with delight. "If you so desired you could not return to your homes northward, for that way now lies in shadow. But come! Your road now turns south." She said and Legolas walked with her as they continued on. Haldir led them through the green ways and they walked silently as they heard voices singing and murmuring around them. After ten miles they walked upon the banks of the River where they saw Elves stowing their possessions in boats.

"Come!" said Haldir. "All is now ready for you. Enter the boats! But take care at first." Legolas glanced between his sister and Haldir. Almiel grabbed his hand.

We shall meet you with Galadriel and Celeborn. They plan on giving you one last farewell feast.

I am guessing it will not be as frivolous as ours?

Well... it is a feast nonetheless. Then Almiel and Haldir disappeared into the woods while the Company entered the boats.

"Will we see them again?!" Frodo cried. Legolas put his hand on his shoulder.

"We shall." He said simply.

They got into their boats before Galadriel's Swan-ship drew alongside them. The Lord and Lady beckoned them to a feast. There Almiel and Haldir were, and those in the Company drank and ate their fill. Celeborn gave them more warnings and then Galadriel rose to give them a cup of farewell. Afterword she gave them each their gifts, but while she called them one by one, Legolas pulled Almiel aside.

"Will I see you again? Before the end..." Almiel's eyes pierced his.

"Yes, Soon I think." She said. "Do not fear for me brother. All things are uncertain until the end. But yes, we shall see each other again. Things are drawing together quickly, but not that quickly." She touched her hand to his face. He closed his eyes as he felt her warmth spread to him.

"You are too stubborn." He said softly.

"Mayhap it will be that which keeps me alive." She said just as soft. "Be at peace with this. You have your own dark path ahead of you." Legolas sighed as she withdrew her hand.