Chapter 18

c. 2065 TA

Elrond arrived in Mirkwood after four days of very hard traveling. Thranduil was waiting for him. They inclined their heads to each other. "Forgive me, Thranduil, but I thought you would not be waiting for me, that you would be with your wife."

"I was," Thranduil said, turning and inviting Elrond to walk with him, "but there is not much that can enter this part of my woods without me knowing it, and she was not in immediate danger when I felt you arrive." Elrond nodded.

"I see. I feel very much the same in my own realm." Thranduil turned his face and looked at him.

"No, you must feel more secure, for none of the enemy would dare enter thy kingdom. Nor could they." Elrond examined his face carefully and found that behind his perfect mask of indifferent power was confusion and fear.

"There may be a time when that is not so." Thranduil studied him this time and then swept his arm to indicate a door.

"She is in here." Elrond walked in to find a bleary eyed Prince ever watchful over his mother, and a young Princess curled up against her mother's side. Elrond's brow creased and he began examining the Queen. Thranduil watched guardedly, trying not to become hopeful. Elrond placed his hand over her brow and closed his eyes.

He found something strange. Whatever poison had contaminated the Queen was still there, lingering close to her heart. Surrounding that shadow, however, was a golden light that protected the heart and kept the shadow from spreading. Every now and then the light would try to put out that shadow, but it had no affect that Elrond could see. He withdrew silently and glanced at the King. Thranduil looked at him, still with a carefully kept mask.

"She is in danger still, but not at this moment." Elrond glanced at the healers still looking on from Thranduil's own people. Thranduil noticed and motioned for them to leave which they did with a bow. Thranduil then returned his gaze to Elrond.

"What is it?"

"I am convinced that the only reason your wife is still alive is that your daughter is keeping her alive by the strength of her own body. The poison is close to her heart, but Almiel is keeping it from touching her heart or spreading. If a cure isn't found soon however… Almiel may die spending her strength keeping the Queen alive. As soon as Almiel is removed from her side, by death or otherwise, then she will die as well. Unless... unless for some reason Almiel has enough strength in her to cure your Lady. In that case, I think Almiel would die, but the Queen might live." Elrond softened his gaze and tone of voice. "If I cannot find a cure, you may have a hard choice to make." Thranduil's eyes flashed at first but then they were swept with fear and sadness as he sunk to the floor. Legolas simply walked to the window and stared out. Elrond sighed and began working to find a cure.

*

Elrond tried many times over but had yet to actually succeed. He had tried every cure he had ever found for poison of the enemy to no avail. It had been a week and a half and things took a turn for the worse.

Elrond discovered that Almiel's power was fading and she resorted to only protecting her mother's heart. The poison therefore spread everywhere else, corrupting the much beloved Queen's soul. Legolas and Thranduil both started when it happened as they felt the pain and the darkness now in her body.

Elrond worked twice as hard now, but had yet to make any breakthrough. Three days had gone by since the turn for the worse, and the Queen now shivered in her repose. Elrond was leaning over Oiolairë trying to gain some sort of better knowledge of what ailed her. He felt a hand on his shoulder and he glanced up to see Thranduil. Thranduil firmly but gently moved Elrond away and leaned down touching his wife on the brow with his cheek. His eyes shut and his brow furrowed slightly. Legolas saw a tear run down his face. Thranduil stood and then touched his daughter on the cheek.

"We must remove Almiel from her mother." He said softly. "Should she live, she would not be the same and she would sail within the year. I would rather not lose them both. We must do what we can to save my daughter." Legolas looked at his father surprised. Never would he have expected this to be his father's decision. However, he saw the determination in his father's face and knew how serious he was. So the Prince moved to his sister's side.

Come Almiel, you must rest.

No! I can save her! Came the surprisingly fast response.

You may yet, but to do so you need strength.

No! I cannot leave her. She will die if I leave her.

And what if she would die anyway?

I was put here for a reason! She sniffed. And if this is my purpose than so be it.

I do not think you were sent to die for one person Almiel. You must return to the land of the living.

And hurt the entire kingdom for the loss of their Queen?

What of their hurt if both their Queen and Princess die?

I will not leave her, I am keeping her from pain as well. Besides, I think I can save her. Then she blocked him out of her thoughts and focused entirely on her mother.

"Oh, Almiel…" Legolas said mournfully and collapsed on the floor. Thranduil looked at him concerned. Legolas shared the words he and Almiel had exchanged and Elrond watched Thranduil pale.

"We must…" Thranduil began before he stopped and King and Prince both turned to Oiolairë. "She's letting go…" he whispered. Elrond turned his back out of respect. They both leaned over their mother and Legolas kissed her softly on the brow.

I will see you in Valinor my mother.

Thranduil then leaned over his wife himself, Legolas backing away. He kissed her once, sweetly. I am sorry, meleth nin. His love for what was supposed to be all of eternity was fading. It was a harsh cold reality, that might leave him stranded for days. But he could not doom his daughter to die when he might lose both of them. Nor would Oiolairë choose herself over Almiel. Then Thranduil turned to Almiel. He nodded to Legolas.

Together, they gently lifted Almiel from the bed, but as they lifted she screamed and increased her hold on her mother. They let her go from surprise. She curled up on top of her mother and began singing. There was a sudden incline in her mother's health that all, even Elrond who had turned back, felt. However, it decreased even faster as Almiel lost the strength to continue it. She began screaming and Thranduil grabbed onto her.

"Come Almiel, I cannot lose both of you, please let go."

"No!" She yelled. Thranduil motioned to Legolas who again grabbed onto her. They both tried as gently as possible to loosen her grip on her mother. "NO!" She continued yelling. "No, no no!"

Then everyone stumbled back save Almiel who instead screamed even louder as her mother's life finally left Ennor for the halls of Mandos. Almiel started pouring her energy into her mother's body, now vacant. Elrond moved forward and tried pulling her off himself. So did her father and brother. She pushed them all off and continued fighting until she lost every bit of energy she had. Then her being faded into unconsciousness.

Elrond started to grab her, but Thranduil grabbed his arm before he could. Elrond looked at him incredulous, yet Thranduil only shook his head.

"If you touch her, she will only use her gift unconsciously. It happens while she sleeps as well." Legolas said. Then he cocked his head at her. "I only know of one person who could help her."