Chapter 69

c.2953 TA

Saruman had yet to figure out how he had been so fully deceived, but he still wondered about their invasion into Dol Guldur. He also planned on figuring it out during this meeting of the White Council. Gandalf, Elrond, Galadriel, and the others were already there. "My friends," He said as he entered the room.

They all turned to see him and either smiled or inclined their heads slightly at him. "Saruman," Gandalf said. They sat down.

"I know why we are here." Saruman said. "You wish to know what I have discovered of the One Ring."

"Yes," Gandalf said, "It is more important than ever. We have to figure out how to proceed."

"Then be at peace," Saruman said, "for the One Ring has passed down the Anduin and into the sea. No one will ever find it evermore. Sauron will stay but a wraith for the rest of his existence. The keepers of the Three can be at peace." Some of the others reacted at his words, but all three that Saruman was hoping would speak kept their silence.

He suspects that we are lying to him. Galadriel said to the other two.

Well, we were not exactly candid with him earlier. He knows we did not tell him everything. It's not surprising he's suspicious. Elrond said.

Perhaps, but I think he is starting to suspect Círdan no longer holds his Ring. And if I'm not mistaken… he is really thick.

What do you mean? Gandalf asked.

He thinks that one of them is held by someone in Thranduil's realm. Perhaps by Thranduil himself. Only because they were not swayed by his voice, and because it was they that discovered Sauron. If he knows anything of the history between Thranduil and the Rings…

That puts Almiel in great danger. Gandalf said, interrupting.

For now she is safe. Elrond said.

We know it is her fate to die. Galadriel said.

You think that we know that. Gandalf pointed out. The Mirror is picky about what it wishes to show people. Perhaps her true fate was hidden.

The Valar said it themselves. Elrond said Besides that, I received the letter from Thranduil I already told you of. The forest is darkening once more.

Regardless, how do we reply to him?

Let's see what he has to say. Galadriel said.

"What does this mean for us? And Middle-Earth as a whole?" Elrond asked. "For it means that Sauron could never be completely defeated."

"That option has long passed, ever since Isildur fell." Saruman said. "As for Middle-Earth, they can be at peace as well."

"This is no peace time." Gandalf said.

"It will be, as soon as Sauron realizes that his power is forever gone."

"And who would be willing enough to tell him that?"

"One of us, for we all seemed rather brave in Dol Guldur did we not?" Saruman said. "Did we not know at every turn what was awaiting us? Was the apparently no end to our magic as we killed Orc after mindless Orc? It seems they have gotten even stupider since just a few years ago, either that or one of you used some sort of magic I was unaware of." His voice was very casual, but his eyes inspected them each very carefully.

Well… now we know. Gandalf said.

We cannot tell him about her. Elrond said. Or at least it cannot be laid on me. Thranduil would murder me.